OP
OP
A

Aquascape Girl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to double dose for 2 weeks before my numbers showed up. Make sure you test every couple days to know when you hit your mark.
I just got the neophos and neonitro in the mail today so I can start dosing. Thank you so much for the advice! It's helpful to know that it may take a while for the numbers to show up. I will test in a few days.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa I can't believe that's the same coral!! It looked completely dead in the 6 month photo! It looks so healthy now! Thank you for the photos! It's nice to know that my candy canes could come back. My nitrates are pretty low right now at 2ppm. I bought some neonitro to slowly raise them. They don't look bad in the photos, but just in the past few days I've noticed more tissue dissapearing. Luckily the phosphate and nitrate supplements I bought came in the mail today so I can start raising the levels and hopefully they will become healthy again like your candy cane coral! I've been feeding mine some brine shrimp and LPS coral food when I see the feeding tentacles out at night, but maybe I'll go to the fish store and pick up some mysis since it seems like that's what everyone recommends.
That 6 month photo wasn’t even as bad as they got. 100% of the tissue disappeared. I left the skeleton in there so my wife would stop complaining about it and lo and behold they came back. From nothing. I’m convinced they can’t be killed

OP
OP
A

Aquascape Girl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That 6 month photo wasn’t even as bad as they got. 100% of the tissue disappeared. I left the skeleton in there so my wife would stop complaining about it and lo and behold they came back. From nothing. I’m convinced they can’t be killed
That's so cool! How long did it take them to come back after losing all of their tissue?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the neophos and neonitro in the mail today so I can start dosing. Thank you so much for the advice! It's helpful to know that it may take a while for the numbers to show up. I will test in a few days.
Obviously each system is different so just check numbers daily or every other day.

I know when I got my nitrates to 8 and phosphate to .08 (10% OF nitrates number) the tank really seemed to come alive and flourish with coraline starting to all over.

Good luck

OP
OP
A

Aquascape Girl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Obviously each system is different so just check numbers daily or every other day.

I know when I got my nitrates to 8 and phosphate to .08 (10% OF nitrates number) the tank really seemed to come alive and flourish with coraline starting to all over.

Good luck
I plan on checking the levels later today or tomorrow before I dose more.

Oh wow I've heard people say that anything over .04 phosphates is bad but maybe that's just for SPS. Anyway it's good to know that it's possible to run a tank with higher nutrient levels successfully. Also it's helpful to know that I should aim for the phosphates to be 10% of the nitrate number.

Thanks again for the advice I really appreciate it!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on checking the levels later today or tomorrow before I dose more.

Oh wow I've heard people say that anything over .04 phosphates is bad but maybe that's just for SPS. Anyway it's good to know that it's possible to run a tank with higher nutrient levels successfully. Also it's helpful to know that I should aim for the phosphates to be 10% of the nitrate number.

Thanks again for the advice I really appreciate it!
They recommend not chasing numbers and letting the tank reveal what its condition is. People have been successful going ultra low and successful with high numbers also. I only describe my personal experience and my tank started thriving when I brought those numbers up with coral growth and coraline coming in also. My tank is only 9 months so I got my first SPS test frag free from my vendor. It's doing OK but not great. I'm pretty sure I need to let the tank mature more and get more stabil before I really try SPS. Sounds like you are on the right path with your tank.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I didn't read the whole thread but I hope this advice from a local reefer helps.
I have several frags of teal and green candy canes, the teals were slowly dying and the greens were just surviving.
After an ICP test I corrected my potassium and all the teals are coming back. I'd share pics but I'm busy with the cherry corals sale :p

OP
OP
A

Aquascape Girl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I didn't read the whole thread but I hope this advice from a local reefer helps.
I have several frags of teal and green candy canes, the teals were slowly dying and the greens were just surviving.
After an ICP test I corrected my potassium and all the teals are coming back. I'd share pics but I'm busy with the cherry corals sale :p
Thanks for the advice! If they still continue to do unwell after I correct my low phosphate and nitrate levels I'll check the potassium level. Maybe it's too low.

gd1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same issue with my candy cane. My nutrients were quite low, barely detectable on a tropic marin kit, & I was dealing with brown algae so I increased feeding & added a few more fish to get them up.

I'm at NO3 7.7 & PO4 0.05 according to my new hanna kit.

The pic with the blues is the day I got it almost a month ago, its lost a fair amount if flesh since then & I think it looks worse now than the pic I took last week.
20211228_094548.jpg
20211121_192132_remastered.jpg

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had alot of issues out of mine at first. My advice is lower your lighting. They do not like high par at all. My experience has taught me that they need alkalinity around 9dkh and very low par. Like 50-70 par max with very little white light. My phos and nitrate was super high. They didn't grow or split but they were able to maintain size and flesh. I had a major algae outbreak that overtook them. Caused them to lose alot of flesh and retract. Lowered my lighting, corrected the issues with my parameters and they have been growing like crazy since.

gd1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had alot of issues out of mine at first. My advice is lower your lighting. They do not like high par at all. My experience has taught me that they need alkalinity around 9dkh and very low par. Like 50-70 par max with very little white light. My phos and nitrate was super high. They didn't grow or split but they were able to maintain size and flesh. I had a major algae outbreak that overtook them. Caused them to lose alot of flesh and retract. Lowered my lighting, corrected the issues with my parameters and they have been growing like crazy since.
I haven't got par test.

Lighting with x2 32hd hydra is below

Screenshot_20220102-084756_myAI.jpg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there are only 2 fish and a few corals in there right now so I don't think I can feed enough to raise the numbers, dosing is probably a better option. I just ordered some neophos and neonitro. Thank you!
You can always feed enough ;Pompus they won't mind the extra

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't got par test.

Lighting with x2 32hd hydra is below

Screenshot_20220102-084756_myAI.jpg

Them 32's on a 30 gallon tank is alot. You only need one. What is the height of the light from the water? They are throwing 150 par at 24" down on 100% so 2 at 50 only 8 inches off the water or so would still be slamming close to 125 I'd think close to the sand bed. There is a photon app for iPhone that if you add white paper over the camera lense, Toss it in a zip lock bag and hold it under water it's within 10% of what the good readers say. I think when I started it cost me 10$ for the app. I bought a par meter but it was dang close. Within like 15 par.

gd1985

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Them 32's on a 30 gallon tank is alot. You only need one. What is the height of the light from the water? They are throwing 150 par at 24" down on 100% so 2 at 50 only 8 inches off the water or so would still be slamming close to 125 I'd think close to the sand bed. There is a photon app for iPhone that if you add white paper over the camera lense, Toss it in a zip lock bag and hold it under water it's within 10% of what the good readers say. I think when I started it cost me 10$ for the app. I bought a par meter but it was dang close. Within like 15 par.

my tank is a redsea reefer 425XL, so 110 gallon. its 2ft deep

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back