Candy cane coral has string looking stuff on it

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I got this candy cane coral and I dipped it but when I stuck it in the water it release this string looking stuff and there's this hand looking thing that keeps popping out of the middle of the coral. Any idea what this could be?
20210821_193924.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this right after the dip and placement? If so it’s normal. A lot of lps and sps “slime” when dipped or bothered. It should be good to go by morning.
20210821_204242.jpg

I took this with the lights off, theres a lot of stuff around the coral that looks like soft coral appendages, is this also normal?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my torch pooing just for example.
But if new to tank then probably as others have said and is just sliming due to being stressed/ handled etc.
Im new to saltwater but only other things i thought off when you said hand looking thing was a feather duster/ tube worm which will retract if you or any fiah goes near it or vermitted snail which casts out a mucus net and catches food and retracts it in.

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is my torch pooing just for example.
But if new to tank then probably as others have said and is just sliming due to being stressed/ handled etc.
Im new to saltwater but only other things i thought off when you said hand looking thing was a feather duster/ tube worm which will retract if you or any fiah goes near it or vermitted snail which casts out a mucus net and catches food and retracts it in.
The brown stuff didn't look quite like that, it was more like little puffs of it. Any idea how to remove the feather duster? Its wedged in between the coral and the guy at my lfs (I trust him ive talked with him a lot) said the coral looked like it was splitting.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its not affecting the candy cane then personally i would leave alone.
If it is affecting it and can get something inbetween to prize feather duster off then got this option.other option would be to frag the candy cane but i doubt needs to go this far because of a feather duster. It looks like it isnt bothering the candy cane and feather dusters usually classed as beneficial filter feeders.
Also some fish eat feather dusters

OP
OP
D

Dominic M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did this brown stuff come from?
1. Center of the coral aka mouth
2. On the side of coral
3. Other
It came out of the mouth, I saw it open and spew short bursts of this brown cloudy stuff out and then the mouth closed. Also in the picture does the coral look opended or is it partially closed?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It came out of the mouth, I saw it open and spew short bursts of this brown cloudy stuff out and then the mouth closed. Also in the picture does the coral look opended or is it partially closed?
It is pooo . looks different for each coral. Torches have a pretty thick poo. Hammer, frogs, Candy's have a puffy poo. If it makes sense.
Coral looks fine also.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poo.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back