Candy cane shedding the luminous part of head

Machiavelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my beautiful Candy Canes have decided to get ugly. Newby here - 6 months in.

Can anyone explain what happened here?

These CC's have had about 6-8 weeks in the 10 gallon tank. Mid placement. KH is a little low but all else ok.

PXL_20231115_104006892.jpg PXL_20231115_104016349.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Machiavelli

Machiavelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ agreed. Now we want to know why, candy canes are an easier lps to keep. Please list your parameters and light and flow where it was at.
Don't know what to say - all my parameters are ok although KH is low. Salinity fine. Been keeping a stable environment, doing 1 litre water changes twice a week. (Used to do 5 litre once per week but the tank got angry). 25.5 degrees. 9W light. I use all lights on at once (b/r/white) on the next to highest setting.
hygger 9W-32W Aquarium Light, Dimmable LED Aquarium Light with Timer, Aluminum Alloy Shell Extendable Brackets, External Controller, Full Spectrum Fis

Here's where it sits... see pics.... (well soon to be sat now lol) in the tank .... and my other corals. The flow I'd say is med/low. I have a conch and 2 x money cowrie snails (they've had a baby so they are happy). I have Spirorbid and Detritus worms bobbing about.

Doing trials and learning until I start with a proper reefscape in January. The only thing I've done from the norm is add Rowa Phos in a small bag but that was 8-9 weeks ago - just after killing my previous Kenya tree when all was bad in the tank. It has been great since.... apart from now ending the candy cane.

Attachments

• PXL_20231115_134922603.jpg
    PXL_20231115_134922603.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20231115_134939554.jpg
    PXL_20231115_134939554.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 63
  • PXL_20231115_140809822.jpg
    PXL_20231115_140809822.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 45

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems to be no flow and no oxygen in the water. Flow is more important than light.

OP
OP
Machiavelli

Machiavelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info - so I have a powerhead - a really weak one when put in the tank looks like I've fitted an outboard motor inside it.... this a small tank.... 10 gallon Waterbox.

But I have just twisted my flow head on this advice so it now has a north south axis in the water facing the centre of the tank - see earlier in the pic above its was east west axis facing the side. Low and behold the water has really stirred up on the surface and my corals are moving great. OMG. This will oxygenate as well won't it. Jeez.

I hope this is all it is - pumped!

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for being blunt but the information you have given and the information you have received will in no way tell you what happened or keep it from happening again.
A 9w light is not strong enough for any type of coral in a tank. The light that you posted is meant for the lowest light freshwater plants. Read the lights description it is not adequate.
You didn't actually list any of your parameters. Why are you using Rowa Phos? Polyp bailout is typically a condition that is caused by water quality or bacterial issue. Very rarely would flow cause an LPS to have polyp bailout. If you want help please post your actual water parameters.
I wouldn't want you to start setting up a reefscape at the beginning of the year, and not have a firm foundational understanding of what you are doing. If you do, you are many times more likely to continue to kill coral and eventually probably fish, and be unhappy and leave the hobby. Attrition in the first year do to a lack of patience and knowledge is very high. That is why there are so many tanks for sale on places like offer up and face book.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Machiavelli

Machiavelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me for being blunt but the information you have given and the information you have received will in no way tell you what happened or keep it from happening again.
A 9w light is not strong enough for any type of coral in a tank. The light that you posted is meant for the lowest light freshwater plants. Read the lights description it is not adequate.
You didn't actually list any of your parameters. Why are you using Rowa Phos? Polyp bailout is typically a condition that is caused by water quality or bacterial issue. Very rarely would flow cause an LPS to have polyp bailout. If you want help please post your actual water parameters.
I wouldn't want you to start setting up a reefscape at the beginning of the year, and not have a firm foundational understanding of what you are doing. If you do, you are many times more likely to continue to kill coral and eventually probably fish, and be unhappy and leave the hobby. Attrition in the first year do to a lack of patience and knowledge is very high. That is why there are so many tanks for sale on places like offer up and face book.
I thought this was a troll at first. You know nothing about me or my character and persistence.

I'll give it a go.... you appear to appreciate bluntness.

Bill Gates — 'I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.'

A 9w light is not strong enough for any type of coral in a tank.
It is, you have assumed the corals and fish I will get.
the information you have received will in no way tell you what happened or keep it from happening again.
I disagree, I bought a powerhead and moved the flow head to literally its quietest area leaving dead spots. When I removed the powerhead I left the flow head to do very little - the advice I got was fantastic. It's now bubbling like a kettle and oxygenating. I used the candy cane as a canary in the coal mine - I am going on to soft corals low maint tank only.... no fish, like you assumed (again).
You didn't actually list any of your parameters.
Why do this - KH was low - the rest is ok. Work by default. I test weekly and if I see something amiss immediately.

Why are you using Rowa Phos?
This is embarrassing and funny but you got to learn. When I got my Conch I read up on it - as I have no sand and a young tank I decided to feed it snail pellets (like 6) as it is a 'ferocious eater' allegedly. This raised the Phos, killed my old Kenya tree and a Purple Star Polyp. The shop was impressed about how dumb that was - so am I looking back.
I wouldn't want you to start setting up a reefscape at the beginning of the year, and not have a firm foundational understanding of what you are doing.
very generous of you, assumption again. I will not know everything in January, although that's an 8 month lead time from when I started and the learning effort I have put in. I have to start eventually with what knowledge I have. I'd still be a v1rgin if I reasoned like this lol.
Attrition in the first year do to a lack of patience and knowledge is very high.
I assure you I have almost infinite patience and work logically.

This hobby is water management. This simplifies the hobby considerably and sure I may get a crash like most experts have had. No problem, try again.

No hard feelings.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was a troll at first. You know nothing about me or my character and persistence.

Bill Gates — 'I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.'

I disagree, I bought a powerhead and moved the flow head to literally its quietest area leaving dead spots. When I removed the powerhead I left the flow head to do very little - the advice I got was fantastic. It's now bubbling like a kettle and oxygenating. I used the candy cane as a canary in the coal mine - I am going on to soft corals low maint tank only.... no fish, like you assumed (again).

Why do this - KH was low - the rest is ok. Work by default. I test weekly and if I see something amiss immediately.

This is embarrassing and funny but you got to learn. When I got my Conch I read up on it - as I have no sand and a young tank I decided to feed it snail pellets (like 6) as it is a 'ferocious eater' allegedly. This raised the Phos, killed my old Kenya tree and a Purple Star Polyp. The shop was impressed about how dumb that was - so am I looking back.

very generous of you, assumption again. I will not know everything in January, although that's an 8 month lead time from when I started and the learning effort I have put in. I have to start eventually with what knowledge I have. I'd still be a v1rgin if I reasoned like this lol.

This hobby is water management. This simplifies the hobby considerably and sure I may get a crash like most experts have had. No problem, try again.

No hard feelings.
Phosphate is your problem, if it killed your soft corals than your tank is near inhospitable for any LPS or SPS. Also got to agree with @F i s h y, he was giving great advice with this hobby, I do think what he said is worth considering.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No hard feelings.
@F i s h y and the rest of us are truly trying to help you and want you to succeed. When you have been on this forum long enough you’ll read time and again people asking for help and saying their parameters are fine only to finally get the parameters and something is way off, it gives us a clear picture to help. Sorry but is nearly impossible to kill a kenya tree and gsp something is way off but we can’t help you with what little information you have provided. I wish you the best.

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No hard feelings.
Sigh.... cool. good for you. i think you will find that if you go to my build thread you will see that i know plenty more than you think. My advice was spot on. Your light is garbage, you didnt list any parameters, and if you have this type of mentality you will struggle. Have a great day. Cant help everyone...

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh.... cool. good for you. i think you will find that if you go to my build thread you will see that i know plenty more than you think. My advice was spot on. Your light is garbage, you didnt list any parameters, and if you have this type of mentality you will struggle. Have a great day. Cant help everyone...
OP is a based chat gpt bot script trolling all of us.

No way they came in here asking for advice and knowledge but then rejected it. From someone who has a very successful reef tank such as yourself and the others.

Truly cannot help them all...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back