TheBirdsNest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks!

Hope everyone has had a great weekend!

I'm relatively new to the hobby and got my first Red Sea Reefer 250 a couple of months ago.. Last week I added my first corals and all seem to be doing well with the exception of my Candy Cane.. The first 2-3 days it looked happy but now it seems to be shrinking and I'm worried its dying off.. I've shared some photos below.. What are your thoughts??

IMG_1235.jpeg

IMG_1236.jpeg

I've seen conflicting advice on placement, it's currently low in my tank and has low to moderate flow.
My water parameters are below:

Temp: 26.2'C
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphate: 0-0.1ppm
KH: 81. dKH
Magnesium: 1600ppm
Calcium: 470ppm

My magnesium is super high.. Must have calculated something wrong so I've done an 8% water change today.
Is that a likely cause or does anything else look off for those numbers?

I'm running two Red Sea LED 90's at the default 15K 8-hour setting.. Two Reef Wave 25's at 30% random and skimmer on a relatively dry skim.

Any advice would be great, I don't want this guy to die and hopefully I can do something about it before it's too late?!

Cheers,
Lawrence

OP
OP
TheBirdsNest

TheBirdsNest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, other corals in there that seem pretty happy so far are:

* Kenya Tree
* Green and Red Zoa's (doing the best)
* Pulsating Xenia's
* Firework Xenia (I think is the name)

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first thought is that its getting too much flow, but if you say its in a low flow spot, then maybe thats not it.

It might also still be acclimating to your tank. Its a brand new tank, and although candy canes are an easier coral, they are still a it more difficult and fussy than the other corals you listed. Corals can take days, weeks, or even several months to acclimate to an aquarium.

It looks crinkled up, but as long it doesn't turn white or melt, then it will be fine, and I would bet that it will be fine, just give it some time.

OP
OP
TheBirdsNest

TheBirdsNest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!!

I say low flow.. IMO it's the lowest flow in the tank but maybe too high?? I've reduced the power head on that side to 10% and let's see what happens!

I can see the white skeleton in the underside.. I don't know if that was showing before or not but I'm hoping I can claw it back!

Thanks for the advice :)
my first thought is that its getting too much flow, but if you say its in a low flow spot, then maybe thats not it.

It might also still be acclimating to your tank. Its a brand new tank, and although candy canes are an easier coral, they are still a it more difficult and fussy than the other corals you listed. Corals can take days, weeks, or even several months to acclimate to an aquarium.

It looks crinkled up, but as long it doesn't turn white or melt, then it will be fine, and I would bet that it will be fine, just give it some time.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your last Coral listed is probably a firework cloves.

How about posting a white light picture on that skeleton you are seeing. The flesh looks like it's there in the pictures you posted.

I don't think 1600 PPM of magnesium is anything to worry about at this point.

Edit: it looks like the first picture might be the older picture? I do now see some skeleton. How long have you had this coral?

OP
OP
TheBirdsNest

TheBirdsNest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Thanks!!

I say low flow.. IMO it's the lowest flow in the tank but maybe too high?? I've reduced the power head on that side to 10% and let's see what happens!

I can see the white skeleton in the underside.. I don't know if that was showing before or not but I'm hoping I can claw it back!

Thanks for the advice :)
The skeleton is primarily on the underside and possibly a tiny bit on one branch..
I've had it a week yesterday and it started to look a little worse for wear 3 days ago.

Here are some pictures in a white light, but not sure if they are any clearer!

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1240.jpeg
IMG_1241.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yes. It definitely doesn't like something in your tank. I don't think that's flow related. It could be that the tank it was in is completely different than the tank it's in now, parameter wise and/or lights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back