Candy cane turn reddish pink

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a candy cane coral about 2 months ago and he was bright neon green and now has turn reddish pink I think he might be dead

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 93

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not dead yet, but almost. The red part is skeleton. The green is the tissue.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That don't look right. In my experience, these corals are very good at bouncing back. It looks like some kind of nuisance algae is overgrowing it. How long has it been like this? I don't want to rule out BJD but it doesn't really look like that to me.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been like this for a month is their anything I can do to help it
That don't look right. In my experience, these corals are very good at bouncing back. It looks like some kind of nuisance algae is overgrowing it. How long has it been like this? I don't want to rule out BJD but it doesn't really look like that to me.
its Been like this for a month I got the ai prime specifically for this coral because I thought it was lack of light. Is their anything I can do

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I can do?
Sure. Make sure water parameters are in order, especially temp, salinity, alkalinity, Ca. Proper lighting. Make sure nothing is picking at it.

You will have to tell us a little more about your tank.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.025, my alkalinity is 8, and my temp is 76. My zoas are also closed too but I have a anemone. I think my anemone might of sting both of them because my gsp is growing reall good and has just been introduced to the tank. My lighting is the ai prime 16 hd. I use David sadhus lighting schedule but I tuned downed my intensity. My tank is the fluval evo 13.5. And all of my parts in my tank are upgraded.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This just didn’t turn red in one day I saw a gradual change of color through weeks I’m thinking it was my stock light

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a dead skeleton covered in algae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like they were stung and very little tissue left. Do a test and give it and zoas GENTLE burst of current from a turkey baster and see what remains.
They seem to do best in the lower half to third of the tank in an area of low-medium to medium-high flow. Too much flow may make it hard for the polyps to open. You will know your zoanthids are ‘happy’ if they open up and are fully extended without seeming to stretch so far upright.. The majority of zoanthids have symbiotic photosynthetic zooxanthellae (I dare you to try and say that three times quickly) and are therefore best kept with at least moderate aquarium lighting as mentioned for production of zooxanthele.
Zoanthids require the standard water parameters that are good for keeping just about any of your corals healthy. You’re aiming for water temperature about 78 F, salinity somewhere around 1.025 specific gravity) and normal hardness 8-11 dKH) and a pH around 8.1-8.3.
However, if your polyps were previously open and have recently closed up, this should be taken as a serious sign of a water parameters issue. The first things I would check are ph and salinity. In my experience, zoas will close up if there are swings in salinity.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks yeah I tested everything and everything is what it was a month ago when they were healthy I think it was the anemone.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I really have no place else where I can put these corals to thrive

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back