Canister filter and water chiller

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a canister filter by oase and it’s really good. However, it has slowed down since I hooked it up to the heater/chiller. Do you recommend getting a more powerful filter now that it has to pump the water through those hoses?

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using a canister filter by oase and it’s really good. However, it has slowed down since I hooked it up to the heater/chiller. Do you recommend getting a more powerful filter now that it has to pump the water through those hoses?
What size is your tank...where do you live...and why do you need a heater/Chiller?

Upvote 0

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run a chiller through my fluval 207, for few years. It was fine. Remember you wouldn’t want to have too much flow through the chiller because it wouldn’t be able to do it job efficiently. You can supplement the flow inside the tank with a wavemaker, which IMO is more important than turnover rate. If you feel the rate is too slow, they make a inline pump that can give it a boost.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank...where do you live...and why do you need a heater/Chiller?
Only 20 gallons. I live in Philly and although we do have proper inside heating, the a/c is broken. I do have a window unit for now. However, the heat in the winter in my apartment is crazy. I think I’m placed right between two elderly people who keep their heat on 24/7. It can get swelteringly hot in here. Plus, it’s a good a temperature outside right now and the equipment in the tank is already putting it above 80 degrees. I thought it best to get a chiller to make sure I have more control over the temperature before I even introduce coral or fish. Plus I haven’t even turned on the lights yet.

Upvote 0

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chillers typically need a higher head pump than what you get from a cannister filter. They rely on very turbulent flow through the coils to get good heat transfer which creates head loss. I would generally not recommend using a cannister to pump through a chiller. It may work but you are not getting the best efficiency from the chiller.

Upvote 0

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chillers typically need a higher head pump than what you get from a cannister filter. They rely on very turbulent flow through the coils to get good heat transfer which creates head loss. I would generally not recommend using a cannister to pump through a chiller. It may work but you are not getting the best efficiency from the chiller.
Nor the canister as it now adds additional head. Best IMO to use a dedicated pump for the chiller

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AdamG280

AdamG280

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nor the canister as it now adds additional head. Best IMO to use a dedicated pump for the chiller
Yeah. I mean it’s working, but I think that filters for a reef tank are supposed to produce gph of 5 to 10 times the total water volume. I realized the one I already have doesn’t even do that so I think I’m gonna just upgrade to a little higher than needed to make up for the loss.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back