Canister filter not starting

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've made a new aquarium with an Oase Biomaster filter bought half a year ago. I primed it today but it just will not start. I think there may be a bit of air inside but shaking the canister or more sucking on the tube doesn't help. I have reserved a purchase of a fish for a month in advance and I will miss it without the cycle complete. Please help

Solution
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you can do is remove pipes from the tank too stop siphoning get towels to mop up spills then have a look at the pump head and check the propeller is working when connected too the power

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried pumping the primer button
Is the canister making noises more rattling this is a sign of no water getting to the pump. If you have taps on the piping make sure there’s water there when you turn the taps on . Let me know how you get on. Even switch the filter off and manually prime it you will no when you’re canister is full because every time you press down you will see water movement on your return pipe . Also open both taps so the air can be released otherwise the are carnt go anywhere

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried pumping the primer button
Is the canister making noises more rattling this is a sign of no water getting to the pump. If you have taps on the piping make sure there’s water there when you turn the taps on . Let me know how you get on. Even switch the filter off and manually prime it you will no when you’re canister is full because every time you press down you will see water movement on your return pipe . Also open both taps so the air can be released otherwise the are carnt go anywhere
I primed it manually. The piping is full of water as well as the filter. My power outlet is good, I checked it. The filter makes no noise when turned on. It just doesn't start. I don't know what you mean by opening the taps :(
Thanks

Upvote 0

AquaLogic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no sound/movement/vibration then the pump probably isn't running. You should probably contact the manufacturer to see if it is defective.

Upvote 0

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I primed it manually. The piping is full of water as well as the filter. My power outlet is good, I checked it. The filter makes no noise when turned on. It just doesn't start. I don't know what you mean by opening the taps :(
Thanks
Most canisters come with taps so you can shut the water off from your tank . Does your plug have a fuse so change it . Don’t know if USA plugs have fuses lol . Check your top of the canister look at your propeller and turn it on if no movement the pump must be done. Keep us updated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is no sound/movement/vibration then the pump probably isn't running. You should probably contact the manufacturer to see if it is defective.
That's what I was thinking. Tho in the manual it says that the filter may not start when there is air inside the canister. When I shake it I feel like there is some inside. When I tilted it and powered it up I believe it worked for a split second (I have only seen some water movement I didn't actually see it) but I immedietly pulled the plug. I have almost zero space in the cabinet to shake it as hard as I want. Any ideas how to get the air out? Is it possible that the priming wasn't good enough?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most canisters come with taps so you can shut the water off from your tank . Does your plug have a fuse so change it . Don’t know if USA plugs have fuses lol . Check your top of the canister look at your propeller and turn it on if no movement the pump must be done. Keep us updated
I checked and everything is open to the full. Sorry but I don't speak english that well so I don't know what do you mean by saying fuses again. I have an european type plug and outlet (plug has two poles, outlet two holes and a pole).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't open it without spilling water all over... also if I would detach th top part, all the siphoned water would spill out

Upvote 0

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't open it without spilling water all over... also if I would detach th top part, all the siphoned water would spill out
Your pipe work should have taps or some sort of valve to stop the water in the pipes when doing maintenance cleaning media. This is a picture of my taps . Take a photo of your canister set up
IMG_0190.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the space in which I hold the filter.

Attachments

• 20240130_132559.jpg
    20240130_132559.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing you can do is remove pipes from the tank too stop siphoning get towels to mop up spills then have a look at the pump head and check the propeller is working when connected too the power

Upvote 0
Solution
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THANKS! my carbon bag got stuck and completly blocked the propeller...

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For future reference, you can cycle a tank with any sort of even vaguely acceptable water flow. Slap a spare powerhead in there and you're good.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For future reference, you can cycle a tank with any sort of even vaguely acceptable water flow. Slap a spare powerhead in there and you're good.
I think my 8000l/h wasn't enough.. Thanks for the advice!

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back