Canister filter for Frag Tank.....with a pre-filter

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a custom AIO Frag Tank that looks like this:

I am considering using a canister filter for my filtration. Now, I will only put biological filtration in the canister. (thinking about using Seachem Matrix, MarinePure, or Plastic Bioballs...or, maybe a combination of all three...)
But....instead of using filter floss or other sponge material inside the canister filter I am going to put a mechanical filter in between the tank and the canister filter. That way any detritus or debris won't actually make it into the canister, therby preventing the whole "nitrate factory" issue everyone talks about. Plus, you don't have to take apart the canister every time you want to replace/clean the mechanical media. So, what I am planning on using for a pre-filter (mechanical) is a single RODI canister. I will use a resin filter and fill it with a bunch of filter floss. I plan on having 2 or 3 of those empty resin containers filled up with new floss, so all I need to do is unscrew the rodi filter canister, remove the container that has the dirty floss and put in a fresh one.
Like this:
filterfloss.JPG

I saw one on Amazon that looked like this. I think I would replace the included blue sponge and use dense filter floss or multiple layers of sponges of differing micro sizes. Like this:
Canipre.JPG

What do you think about this? Have you tried this method? I have never done a frag only/frag tank before. I am not wanting to put any live rock in the frag tank; just the coral frag plugs. Is biological filtration even THAT important in a frag only system? There just isn't a lot of information out there on building frag only systems, what is truy necessary for a frag tank compared to a full on display tank as far as filtration and other things. Please tell me what you think about this type of setup for a frag/grow out tank.

Thanks so much for your time,

Josh

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ao it's an Advanced Acrylics frag tank. It looks like the overflow is on the bottom left and return is on the top left - is that correct? I think you'd have better success utilizing the AIO sump as intended with filter floss, various media and a standard return pump - but that's just my take.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back