Canister filtration for a reef aquarium

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, a question, I just set up a 90 G tank and I am wanting to make it a reef aquarium with community fish. Currently have 45lbs. base rock, 30 lbs. live rock, 2.5" live sand, a Coralife 125 skimmer, Fluval 400 HOB filter, a UV sterilizer, and 2 Magnum 350 canister filters. Lights will be Hiparegro 100 watt LEDs. Lights are not on yet due to trying to avoid the "uglies" as much as possible. My question is, will this system sustain coral life/growth?

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All HOB. 3 FX6 canisters and one large skimmer....short answer yes.
IMG_2277.JPG

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one questions if cannisters can run a reef tank. They are just annoying to maintain and keep up. If you fail to keep up with the maintenance they can be a detritus trap

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No one questions if cannisters can run a reef tank. They are just annoying to maintain and keep up. If you fail to keep up with the maintenance they can be a detritus trap
However - lets pretend you have a sump - and do no water changes - where does 'the detritus go'?

OP
OP
Sophie"s mom

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I do understand both views on the question, so, the canister that the UV runs thru just have a bio wheel type filter in it for biological filtration, and the other has some filter floss, a bag with some ceramic bio balls and a sponge, how often should I break these down and clean them? Weekly? Monthly? I also perform 10% water changes every other week.

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run an FX4 canister on my 90 gal reef and have no issues at all.

Maintenance hasn’t been bad for me. Only need to clean it every 4-6 months.

I’m also bad at overfeeding. No probs with nitrates either. (Please don’t ask me about my phosphate levels tho LOL)

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so I do understand both views on the question, so, the canister that the UV runs thru just have a bio wheel type filter in it for biological filtration, and the other has some filter floss, a bag with some ceramic bio balls and a sponge, how often should I break these down and clean them? Weekly? Monthly? I also perform 10% water changes every other week.
Clean every other month (depends on feeding and bioload), use NSW (or old form tank)....IMO water changes are more important.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No. There is not need for a biowheel. IMHO. There is no 'filter floss' in Fluval F5-6. (Don't know about the rest). IMHO - the comment about no 'biologic filtration' was misguided with regards to canister filters. You can use a fluval filter for your tank. The best solution would be a below the tank sump - but there is nothing special/wrong with fluval.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cans are a pain to deal with imo. Sumps are easier to maintain and you can have less " junk" in the tank. But, A canister filter will work on a reef tank without issue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back