Opinions please, What do I need next?

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The WC's will definitely take care of the elevated nitrates, but they won't address the how they got to be that high.

I may have missed, but what livestock do you have in your tank? I see 3 fish, a cleaner shrimp, GSP, and various snails/crabs from your picture. Really large water changes can impact coral health, so youIl want to keep that in mind since you have GSP. TBH, I don't know how they would react to quick decreases in nitrate and phosphate.

How much do you feed daily? What is your current WC regime? 10-20% weekly is a good level to target for long term maintenance planning as well. I personally try to target 10-15% weekly.

Back to your main question though!

My 75g didn't have a sump or skimmer for the first 2ish years it was up. I used a HOB filter (so I could run carbon and GFO) and then a modified HOB refugium. Eventually I made a DIY sump using an ESHOPPS external overflow box and a 20g tall. While I had to keep an eye to make sure the siphon stays during feedings when I first set it up (I totally turned off my return pump), that upgrade on the tank was probably my favorite as I could move everything out of the display besides my wavemakers.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi again!

As you may have seen my tanks bday post, 1 year :star-struck:

When I purchased my setup it was completely 100% recommendation of the single person I spoke with at the LFS I was in (even the lights from Amazon) did I learn from that mistake? Yes.

If you all don't mind I would appreciate thoughts on the first thing to do now that I have made it through the first year.
This is what I currently have:
Tank - 48x18x21 75 Gallon Marineland Aquarium
Lights - ViparSpectra 165w Light (2)
Filter - Fluval FX6 Aquarium Canister Filter
UV - Coralife Turbo Twist UV Sterilizer - 3X - 9V
UV Pump - Syncra Silent 0.5 Pump (185 GPH)
Heater - Aqua Top 500 WATT TITANIUM HEATER W/CONT

Other items so you are aware - TMI I am sure...........
Sicce XStream 3500 Wave Pump - 925 GPH (2)
Aqua Clear 20 PWR Heads (2)
Loose Rocks .30 per LB
CARIB FLORIDA CRUSH CORAL 40
CARIB ARAGONITE REEF SAND 40

Thank you in advance for playing "WHAT DOES HE NEED NOW"!! :)
My biggest suggestion is be CAREFUL with that much light. I have 2 of those lights over a 120 at like 40% whites 60% blues and it is HIGH par in my tank. I do have 2 supplemental t5 bulbs, but just be aware you can really cook corals with that much light

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back