Canister Reef Tank - project

Dan Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I'm planning to build a tank using a canister filter. I'm trying to figure out how to be as close as a sump as possible in terms of equipment capabilities, with the exception of a skimmer.

Could you please give me your input about the idea below? If it works fine, I'll be able to have probes, an algae reactor, other reactors if needed and a heater (built in the canister), all connected inline.

The ATO would be done by the Apex using their optical sensor attached directly in the aquarium.

The objective is to have a clean tank without an ugly overflow.

Thanks!

Captura de Tela 2022-05-18 às 15.43.56.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the canister idea and either connect a sump or HOB filter. You're not going to be happy with the level of maintenance required on a canister filter system.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the canister idea and either connect a sump or HOB filter. You're not going to be happy with the level of maintenance required on a canister filter system.
I'm pretty happy with my canister filter. I just pull the intake/output out of the water to avoid a siphon and put the canister in a bucket before opening it. I don't find it any more annoying than making water and doing water changes. But I also run a sump with chaeto/pods in a large refugium.

OP
OP
Dan Reef

Dan Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

thanks for the input. I'm more interested in discussing the plumbing, please! Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty happy with my canister filter. I just pull the intake/output out of the water to avoid a siphon and put the canister in a bucket before opening it. I don't find it any more annoying than making water and doing water changes. But I also run a sump with chaeto/pods in a large refugium.
You would probably be in the minority, but hey - to each their own.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would probably be in the minority, but hey - to each their own.
I would definitely prefer using a skimmer as it's way easier to maintain. I run a skimmer/fuge on my big tank. I just can't run one on my 75 because I bought a used DYI sump that has a very high water level and my stand is too short to raise a skimmer to the right water height. The canister was an awesome cheap solution for filtration and I have two air stones in the sump for aeration.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used EHEIM canisters for 25 years or more running Marine, fresh, and reef tanks still working great and Low Nitrates. Knowledge is the key.My tanks including 125 gallon reef Thriving.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 111 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back