canister vs. hang on back filter

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best filtration system for a 60-gallon tank, canister filter, or hang-on-back filter? I have been using a canister filter on my 60-gallon tank for about 18 months, but the filter recently clogged and the UV light burned. I cleaned the filter and it's working again, but I'm wondering if I should replace it with a new canister or change the filtration system. I've heard HOB filters need to be cleaned less often and are more efficient. Is this correct?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the canister. I'd recommend a HoB skimmer and filter. I use both. Skimmer for gas exchange and nutrient export. HoB filter for floss, and if needed carbon/chempure

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of canisters as the best wasy to keep a tank clean is to frequently clean or swap out the filterpad/sock/sponge and canisters make that a pain to do.

It is not true that HOB filters need to be cleaned less often. How often a filter needs to be cleaned is how much it is collecting and how much you want to do water changes (clean the filter pad frequently and be able to cut down on water changes or let food and poo rot in it and do more water changes).

OP
OP
Europa

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the canister. I'd recommend a HoB skimmer and filter. I use both. Skimmer for gas exchange and nutrient export. HoB filter for floss, and if needed carbon/chempure
Do you have a separate UV Sterilizer? I don't think HOB filters come with a UV light...

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used one.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV really isn't necesssary. The flow rate through them in a canister or hang on back filter would probably do nothing for parasites. They could help with bacterial or phyto blooms but otherwise they aren't that useful.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Both units are considered mechanical filtration. You ideally need chemical and mechanical filtration for highest success. canisters need frequent cleaning and stage changes and are therefore considered nitrate factories in which quickly your nitrates-ammonia -phosphates will climb quickly. The HOB units are better as they provide water surface movement and entrap minute particles but offer little to no chemical filtration. Chemical filtration is one in which removes ammonia and nitrite from aquarium water by way of positive bacterial colonies that convert it, through oxidation to harmless nitrate.
Mechanical filtration is performed when water passes through a filter's foam pads, catching particulate matter like uneaten food, waste and decayed plants.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have evolved on canister filters. I used to love them, but now I think the sponges and filter floss are just nutrient factories. I could be wrong. I am currently running an AIO nano and soon setting up a Reefer with a sump but I’ve seen some really interesting HOB filters and that is what I would use now given the two options. Unless you are diligent about changing the filter pads, it may not be worth it. They are convenient to remove and service though.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the above is correct and incorrect. Confused yet? Welcome to forum life... Personally I like canisters. I get a much better turnover rate than most HOB waterfall type filters allow.

There is a prevailing opinion out there that canister filters are "nitrate factories". This, like most other elements in this hobby, depends entirely on YOU. IF you perform regular cleaning of your filter, the "nitrate factory" opinion is a simple myth. The issue arises when you fail to perform your scheduled maintenance. If you don't clean your canister on a regular basis, it will most definitely become a "nitrate factory". This is true no matter which way you go! ANY filter, if not cleaned regularly, will collect detritus and allow nitrates to build up.

For what its worth, I use a canister on my 55G tank and have for decades when it was freshwater tank. I have found that it clears the water column much more quickly than any HOB filter could hope for.

It all boils down to this simple question, which only you can answer. Are you willing to add an extra 30-45 mins to your maintenance schedule to clean your mechanical filtration in your canister? I actually bought 2 full sets of replacement sponges for my canister so I can simply remove and replace them easily and save myself some time and effort.

Cheers,
Steve

Hectorg214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run an emperor 400 and skimmer on my 72 bowfront but have seen good reviews on the aquaclear 110. Which one would be better??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I currently run an emperor 400 and skimmer on my 72 bowfront but have seen good reviews on the aquaclear 110. Which one would be better??
Emperor is good. I sold many at my pet store. This one is a combo of mechanical and chemical filtration with the bio-wheel technology.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back