Cannibal Cardinal

wvfeefkeeper80

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 25, 2020
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
WV
What state or country do you live in
West Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased two black and white cardinals a month or so ago. I recently added a wrasse, and while I thought the royal gamma would pick the wrasse apart, they acclimated very well. Fast forward a few weeks and I notice one of my cardinal is hiding anywhere it can find, top fins chewed off. As I observe, I see the dominant one hounding the second relentlessly. Cardinal comes out to feed and looks healthy but for the hiding and battered fins.

What can I do? Should I let them work it out? Will those fins welcome disease? Death or removal?
Tank is:

32.5 Marine Fluval
Marine lighting
Water levels at optimal perimeters
Weekly water changes
Protein skimmer
UV filter
2 clown
1 goby
1 royal gamma
1 wrasse
2 (ish) cardinals
Soft/LPS coral
Peppermint x 1
Hermits
Rock Anemone
~5 month age tank
**In photo, cardinal is at rock base**

D63CB1FE-F25D-4918-A8E5-51C222A69A70.jpeg
 
I purchased two black and white cardinals a month or so ago. I recently added a wrasse, and while I thought the royal gamma would pick the wrasse apart, they acclimated very well. Fast forward a few weeks and I notice one of my cardinal is hiding anywhere it can find, top fins chewed off. As I observe, I see the dominant one hounding the second relentlessly.

What can I do? Should I let them work it out? Will those fins welcome disease? Death or removal?
Tank is:

32.5 Marine Fluval
Marine lighting
Water levels at optimal perimeters
Weekly water changes
Protein skimmer
UV filter
2 clown
1 goby
1 royal gamma
1 wrasse
2 (ish) cardinals
Soft/LPS coral
Peppermint x 1
Hermits
Rock Anemone
~5 month age tank
**In photo, cardinal is at rock base**

D63CB1FE-F25D-4918-A8E5-51C222A69A70.jpeg
Separate them, you have 2 males, one will kill the other
Well, sharks tooth! lol Getting fish out of a tank, as a newbie, just seems so impossible. Not being lazy, it just creates chaos and skill I’ve yet to master.
I suppose in this amount of space, a territorial shifting of rocks would make little impact?
 
Nope, I have had males seek out and kill each other in 500g
Wow. Thank you for the assistance and knowledge. Do you know of a way to find the right sex moving forward?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new