Cannot figure out how to tune IceCap Nano 50 HOB Protein Skimmer.

frags2fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

This is my first post so please be gentle lol.

I recently got back into reefing and have been slowly putting together a 60 gallon reef tank, which I’ve been loving. That being said, protein skimmers have always been my Achilles heel when it comes to keeping reef tanks, specifically in terms of tuning or breaking them in, dealing with micro bubbles even after weeks of running, and watery skimmate.

So I guess any guidance on getting this thing broken in properly so that I finally have a protein skimmer that works correctly for once is mainly what I’m looking for.

Here is the link to the product: https://www.coralvue.com/icecap-nano-50-hob-skimmer

Also if you could suggest an alternative skimmer that would be great for a 60g reef tank and that has easy setup and shorter breakin period that’d be great!

Thank you all for your help and guidance. I really enjoy learning from you all :)

- Dave

OP
OP
frags2fishes

frags2fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Balxsun,

Thanks for responding.

I think the biggest problem is my lack of understanding when it clmes to protien skimmers in general lol. This is my third reef tank after a 10+ year hiatus and I still don’t know how to tune or adjust the skimmer so that there is a good skimmate and no micro bubbles released into the tank from the outflow.

I’ve also noticed that adjusting the water level in the tank or raising/lowering the skimmer itself in its HOB position affects the amount of bubbles/runnoff/water going into the collection cup. I’m guessing it is common knowledge that this is normal but I don’t really get why that is the case.

Again protein skimmers have always been troublesome for me and I’d love to get it to a point where it works steadily because I know it will really help with overall water quality.

Anyway any advice on protien skimmer is really welcome at this point. Like I said, I’m even open to getting another one if it will be a lot easier to set up and get working consistently/correctly.

Thanks in advanced for any insight!

Tank:
60 gallon cube
Fluval FX4 Canister
24W GKM
IceCap Nano 50 HOB skimmer
2 24” Current USA Orbit Marine IC LED Reef Lighting Strips and 2 Current USA Wave Pumps on the LOOP system

BobTheBlenney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may get hammered for this, but you don't need a protein skimmer. Save yourself the headache, skip the skimmer, and go au natural. In fact, if you plan on keeping LPS a skimmer could even be counter productive. I have a 75g and filtration consists of live rock and a coarse sponge for mechanical filtration. My water is crystal clear, and I do a 10% water change about once a month. I have a little ball of cheato in the customized filter box, but I don't think it's really doing anything. The only issue you might have with a canister filter is a lack of gas exchange. I don't have experience with those so maybe a good canister accounts for that. I have room in my filter box to add a PS if I ever think I need one, but right now there would be no point.

OP
OP
frags2fishes

frags2fishes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may get hammered for this, but you don't need a protein skimmer. Save yourself the headache, skip the skimmer, and go au natural. In fact, if you plan on keeping LPS a skimmer could even be counter productive. I have a 75g and filtration consists of live rock and a coarse sponge for mechanical filtration. My water is crystal clear, and I do a 10% water change about once a month. I have a little ball of cheato in the customized filter box, but I don't think it's really doing anything. The only issue you might have with a canister filter is a lack of gas exchange. I don't have experience with those so maybe a good canister accounts for that. I have room in my filter box to add a PS if I ever think I need one, but right now there would be no point.
Hey BobTheBlenny!

Thank you for your reply.

I totally get where you’re coming from with this as, because of my inability to figure out protein skimmers, I haven’t really had a consistent/correctly running one in any of my previous reef tanks, and they all did great. I just really wanted to try and figure one out with this setup for peace of mind as I would like to try more advanced corals eventually. Anyway thank you for your input/insight! Really appreciate it.

Have a nice weekend!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back