OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on the left, close to the side glass. Next to it is my Tunze internal filter.

1700534106781.jpeg
Do you have rimmed tank with glass lid ? If yes then I have the same setup.

OP
OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about an internal skimmer ? Tunze makes a nice one, DC if you want (Tunze Comline 9004 DC or Tunze Comline 9012 DC).

I have the 9012 Dc for my 75 gallons and it’s quiet enough, does a good job and it’s practically invisible in the tank. Contrary to an HOB, an internal skimmer can’t overflow and make a mess on your flo

Have you thought about an internal skimmer ? Tunze makes a nice one, DC if you want (Tunze Comline 9004 DC or Tunze Comline 9012 DC).

I have the 9012 Dc for my 75 gallons and it’s quiet enough, does a good job and it’s practically invisible in the tank. Contrary to an HOB, an internal skimmer can’t overflow and make a mess on your floor.
Can you please tell me if your skimmer can sit behind a glass lid on a rimmed tank? Sorry if I'm asking a redundant question.. just trying to know if it will fit in my tank..

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have rimmed tank with glass lid ? If yes then I have the same setup.

Can you please tell me if your skimmer can sit behind a glass lid on a rimmed tank? Sorry if I'm asking a redundant question.. just trying to know if it will fit in my tank..

Yes, it sits just beneath the rim. My tank is a 75 gallons Seapora if you want to check the specs.

Oh, but one thing though. I needed to use an extra set of magnets, to make it work. So I used the ones that came in the box, and put another set of Tunze magnets I had on hand. These are very strong magnets by the way, enough to hurt you if you’re not careful.

So if your rim is the same thickness as mine, you might have to do the same, or just use something thick enough on the glass to stick the existing magnets on top.

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s on the left, close to the side glass. Next to it is my Tunze internal filter.

1700534106781.jpeg
I ended up finding a Tunze Comline 9004 DC at my fave LFS and they price matched an on-line Black Friday sale. I haven't set it up yet, but I'm excited.

OP
OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up finding a Tunze Comline 9004 DC at my fave LFS and they price matched an on-line Black Friday sale. I haven't set it up yet, but I'm excited.
Amazing.. send us pics once you set it up

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Thanks greatly for the discussions and suggestions. I have the Tunze 9004 for about 4 months, and find it doesn't create much dry skim. I empty the cup every 3-4 days, and have to fiddle with the air controller every now and then still. It does create a great deal of microbubbles in the skimmer body for air exchange. I have a 35 gal custom AIO, and may go larger. Getting more loaded with fish and corals. I enjoy it being inside the filter chamber, but every once in a while the bubbles will push the skim cap off and create a mess. It was also hard to take apart to clean the motor of gunk. I busted a couple of the body cover snapfits in doing so, and now leaks some excess microbubbles in the AIO chamber. Though i missed the sales, i am considering the Aquamax 1.5 or Bubble 3, or Reef Octopus 90 or 100. Just not content with what i have. The Reef Octopus versions are terrible for obtaining space dimensions from websites. Welcome more inputs about all models under thought. Thanks much for posting the discussion and replies.

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Thanks greatly for the discussions and suggestions. I have the Tunze 9004 for about 4 months, and find it doesn't create much dry skim. I empty the cup every 3-4 days, and have to fiddle with the air controller every now and then still. It does create a great deal of microbubbles in the skimmer body for air exchange. I have a 35 gal custom AIO, and may go larger. Getting more loaded with fish and corals. I enjoy it being inside the filter chamber, but every once in a while the bubbles will push the skim cap off and create a mess. It was also hard to take apart to clean the motor of gunk. I busted a couple of the body cover snapfits in doing so, and now leaks some excess microbubbles in the AIO chamber. Though i missed the sales, i am considering the Aquamax 1.5 or Bubble 3, or Reef Octopus 90 or 100. Just not content with what i have. The Reef Octopus versions are terrible for obtaining space dimensions from websites. Welcome more inputs about all models under thought. Thanks much for posting the discussion and replies.
I'm selling my RO BH90 if you would be interested. There's a listing in the dry goods selling forum.

OP
OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest I saw hob 1.5 was 179 on brs two days before Black Friday.. I'll wait and see if that comes around back before year ends.. tunez is a great option I'm it's not right for my setup.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lowest I saw hob 1.5 was 179 on brs two days before Black Friday.. I'll wait and see if that comes around back before year ends.. tunez is a great option I'm it's not right for my setup.
That’s when I purchased mine. Added to my IM40L two days ago and working through the break-in period.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, the deciding factor was water exit. I wanted the output port to be in the tank, under the surface if possible, so it would be quiet. The Bullet skimmers have an open output and the water could make noise as it enters the aquarium.

tiiksi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't bought yet. I have a Reef octopus classic 100. It needs new sponges. They are like 4 dollars from coralvue. Its not the same as the classic 90 and has a much larger body.

However, it was briefly used and put away very clean. You pay the shipping and its yours. I'm in 32244.

Also, you probably don't want it. It worked well. But I lived in constant fear of a overflow.
I wanted to try Reef octopus classic 100, if you're still giving it away. Started my first 55g saltwater a few 2 month ago.

Philip Chin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added 2 clowns yesterday that have been alive for 24 hours already. Yayy!!!

Now thinking of adding an HOB protein skimmer in November and need your help to decide which one.

I have a rimmed budget 60-gallon tank from Petco. Following is my research but of course, I need your help to decide on any of these or one that's not on the list.

Choice 1 Aquamaxx hob 1.5

Choice 2 RO HOB 90

Choice 3 RO HOB 1000

Choice 4 ICECAP

Your first is what I have but the pump clogs quite often

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added 2 clowns yesterday that have been alive for 24 hours already. Yayy!!!

Now thinking of adding an HOB protein skimmer in November and need your help to decide which one.

I have a rimmed budget 60-gallon tank from Petco. Following is my research but of course, I need your help to decide on any of these or one that's not on the list.

Choice 1 Aquamaxx hob 1.5

Choice 2 RO HOB 90

Choice 3 RO HOB 1000

Choice 4 ICECAP

I have the Reef Octo 2000 HOB, and it is awesome. Based on my experience, I would go with the Reef OCto 1000 HOB from your choices.

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the aquamax 1.5. Been running for about 3+ months. I find the jet nozzles above the pump clog quite easily and hard to clean (including the pump). Also has become noisier over short period of time. It was producing a decent skimmate initially. Seems more limited of late. Just my observations so far. May or not be helpful. Starting to think the Octo 1000 may have been a better choice.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back