Which HOB Skimmer?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Option 1 (the Aquamaxx 1.5) on my FOWLR for years. Great HOB skimmer. Does need to be broken down and cleaned thoroughly a few times a year though.

I’d caution you against using a skimmer with an external pump (like the one in Option 3). Eventually it’ll leak and create a mess. I prefer all HOB skimmer pumps to either be in the tank or inside the skimmer body.

Last edited:

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would highly recommend the aquamaxx, I've had mine for 2+ years and love it. I did have to cut my glass holding lip on the rim of my tank, (nothing structural) to place it, but it works great.
I had to do the same thing with the black rim on my FOWLR. But I’ve had no problems other than having to take it apart to clean it out every 4 months or do. Good HOB skimmer.

OP
OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Option 1 (the Aquamaxx 1.5) on my FOWLR for years. Great HOB skimmer. Does need to be broken down and cleaned thoroughly a few times a year though.

I’d caution you against using a skimmer with an external pump (like the one in Option 3). Eventually it’ll leak and create a mess. I prefer all HOB skimmer pumps to either be in the tank or inside the skimmer body.
How do you compare it with bullet 3? Would be more easier to clean in your opinion ?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you compare it with bullet 3? Would be more easier to clean in your opinion ?
I’ve never used the Bullet, so I can’t compare the two. But cleaning the Aquamaxx once every 3-4 months isn’t difficult.

I break it down, soak it in vinegar and hot freshwater, and clean the pump, bubble diffuser and volute. Takes 45 min and it’s done, and most of that is soaking time.

For a small HOB skimmer it does a nice job, pulls a decent amount of skimmate and is very reliable.

OP
OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really willing to find comparison between 1.5 HoB and bullet 3. Found a lot about 1.5 but 3 seems to be new @REEF2REEF anyone using Aquamaxx bullet 3?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added 2 clowns yesterday that have been alive for 24 hours already. Yayy!!!

Now thinking of adding an HOB protein skimmer in November and need your help to decide which one.

I have a rimmed budget 60-gallon tank from Petco. Following is my research but of course, I need your help to decide on any of these or one that's not on the list.

Choice 1 Aquamaxx hob 1.5

Choice 2 RO HOB 90

Choice 3 RO HOB 1000

Choice 4 ICECAP

If you haven't bought yet. I have a Reef octopus classic 100. It needs new sponges. They are like 4 dollars from coralvue. Its not the same as the classic 90 and has a much larger body.

However, it was briefly used and put away very clean. You pay the shipping and its yours. I'm in 32244.

Also, you probably don't want it. It worked well. But I lived in constant fear of a overflow.

brclark82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a good video showing the feature of both of the ones you’ve narrowed it down to so you can compare…they both use the exact same pump but have different designs, the HOB looks easier to empty but the Bullet looks like it has more adjustments…probably can’t go wrong with either based in the reviews…the HOB doesn’t need as much clearance behind the tank if that matters

OP
OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't bought yet. I have a Reef octopus classic 90. It needs new sponges. They are like 4 dollars from coralvue. It was briefly used and put away very clean. You pay the shipping and its yours. I'm in 32244.

If you haven't bought yet. I have a Reef octopus classic 100. It needs new sponges. They are like 4 dollars from coralvue. Its not the same as the classic 90 and has a much larger body.

However, it was briefly used and put away very clean. You pay the shipping and its yours. I'm in 32244.

Also, you probably don't want it. It worked well. But I lived in constant fear of a overflow.
I really appreciate your offer. Overflow wouldn't be a marriage saver at all and I don't have much space in the back. Since doing glass lids the side won't be an option either.. Lol..

What are you using instead of classic 100?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really appreciate your offer. Overflow wouldn't be a marriage saver at all and I don't have much space in the back. Since doing glass lids the side won't be an option either.. Lol..

What are you using instead of classic 100?
I have long since shut that tank down. It was a home for some aggressive coral eaters who made a mess. I am now into nano's. I am using a Icecap K1 on one tank and a reef octopus miniQ on another. Both are very good skimmers.

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a Reef Octopus BH90 on my 60g since February. When it works, it works great. But any time it's shut down for any length of time (to clean it, power outage, whatever), it will pull clear water, foam, and overflow. I have to literally sit there and babysit it until it decides to behave properly again. It sometimes takes days. It's been off now for a couple of weeks because I just don't have time to deal with it. It'll do the same thing if I go too long without cleaning, too. I'm about ready to throw the thing out the window. Looking to move to an Aquamaxx after the first of the year.

OP
OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a Reef Octopus BH90 on my 60g since February. When it works, it works great. But any time it's shut down for any length of time (to clean it, power outage, whatever), it will pull clear water, foam, and overflow. I have to literally sit there and babysit it until it decides to behave properly again. It sometimes takes days. It's been off now for a couple of weeks because I just don't have time to deal with it. It'll do the same thing if I go too long without cleaning, too. I'm about ready to throw the thing out the window. Looking to move to an Aquamaxx after the first of the year.
A quick update HOB 1.5 is on sale right now at BRS for $191.99

OP
OP
Wall

Wall

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your input!! My tank is FALLOW for next couple months due to ick or velvet; but when I get skimmer it will be AM 1.5 HOB

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about an internal skimmer ? Tunze makes a nice one, DC if you want (Tunze Comline 9004 DC or Tunze Comline 9012 DC).

I have the 9012 Dc for my 75 gallons and it’s quiet enough, does a good job and it’s practically invisible in the tank. Contrary to an HOB, an internal skimmer can’t overflow and make a mess on your floor.

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about an internal skimmer ? Tunze makes a nice one, DC if you want (Tunze Comline 9004 DC or Tunze Comline 9012 DC).

I have the 9012 Dc for my 75 gallons and it’s quiet enough, does a good job and it’s practically invisible in the tank. Contrary to an HOB, an internal skimmer can’t overflow and make a mess on your floor.
Could I see a picture of how it looks in your tank? I like the idea of an internal that can't overflow everywhere.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I see a picture of how it looks in your tank? I like the idea of an internal that can't overflow everywhere.
It’s on the left, close to the side glass. Next to it is my Tunze internal filter.

1700534106781.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back