Do HOB protein skimmers have enough air intake to use a co2 scrubber

Tayreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Aquamaxx bullet 1 hob protein skimmer that has a sicce nano shark pump. I would like to add a icecap small co2 scrubber to the air intake and recirculate the output air to the scrubber as well.

My question is whether any has had experience trying this with a hob skimmer or if this will help bring my ph up to 8.1-8.3. As of now my ph is always between 7.6-7.9. I tried to adk Brs for help and was told that hob skimmers do not have enough air draw to fo any good. My tank is only 20g so I find that hard to believe that only larger non-hob skimmers will work with co2 scrubbers, or is this true?

OP
OP
T

Tayreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, for the cost/investment you might be further ahead with some alternatives, ie: opening a window, increasing air flow with a fan, etc.
I already have the reactor, I was just asking before I hook it up. I cant open the windows due to weather , I tried adding a fan and it only lowed my tanks temp and didn’t help the ph

Someguyfromsc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try it , either nothing happens or something happens. I’m a gonna try it even if someone tells me it won’t work type of person. So I’d have to for sure try it now .

OP
OP
T

Tayreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try it , either nothing happens or something happens. I’m a gonna try it even if someone tells me it won’t work type of person. So I’d have to for sure try it now .
Thats a good attitude to have, because when you think about it, it should work because the science makes sense, brs is probably just passively trying to tell me to buy a bigger more expensive skimmer lol.

Second Shot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a CO2 scrubber with a HOB aquamaxx, not bullet. It will still raise pH but at least in my case not as much as I hoped. I still think it’s worth hooking up though. My tank was running a high of 7.8 and now it’s generally over 8.1 something. Generally not hitting 8.2 and never 8.3. The plus is that the media lasts for a couple months because it’s pulling less air through it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can all work in proportion to the air that they pull. However, if the indoor air is full of co2, then that gets mixed as well in the chamber and surface, so the bump might not be as much as you want... or you can exhaust media super fast. It still will not do what fresh air will do.

OP
OP
T

Tayreef93

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can all work in proportion to the air that they pull. However, if the indoor air is full of co2, then that gets mixed as well in the chamber and surface, so the bump might not be as much as you want... or you can exhaust media super fast. It still will not do what fresh air will do.
What if I have the air that exits the skimmer cup hooked up the input of the co2 scrubber, will that help with what you mentioned?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recirculating skimmers with/without scrubbers lowers oxygen rate. I am with Dr. RHF on this one... not a good idea unless you are getting plenty of other oxygen from surface/overflow gas exchange, or the like. However, if you are doing more surface/overflow gas exchange then you are also bring in co2 from the air - so low co2 and you have no need for the scrubber but if you have high air co2, then you are counteracting the scrubber.

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Aquamaxx bullet 1 hob protein skimmer that has a sicce nano shark pump. I would like to add a icecap small co2 scrubber to the air intake and recirculate the output air to the scrubber as well.

My question is whether any has had experience trying this with a hob skimmer or if this will help bring my ph up to 8.1-8.3. As of now my ph is always between 7.6-7.9. I tried to adk Brs for help and was told that hob skimmers do not have enough air draw to fo any good. My tank is only 20g so I find that hard to believe that only larger non-hob skimmers will work with co2 scrubbers, or is this true?
I have a Reef Octopus 1000 HOB Skimmer set up up with a BRS CO2 Scrubber and IceCap media set up on a 75g mixed reef tank and my pH is usually around 8.3! I don’t do anything else! No open windows, no plants, just the scrubber! Before the scrubber, my pH would stay around 7.8 and I was adding Eight-Four which also raises Alk! Got the scrubber and stopped the chemicals and its been keeping a steady pH ever since!

Miguel.PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bullet 3 HOB and it works very well with a single stage BRS (RO filter style) CO2 scrubber.
Thinking about getting the Bullet 3. But would like to ask you, is the lack of overflow pipe is a hassle? or the collection cup is big enough for some time? is it silent in the living room?

Thanks

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bullet 3 and am impressed. It's just been broken in and is skimming efficiently after 6 days. I have the same concern about the lack of an overflow drain. It has a catch area if it overflows but I'm not clear on how much it holds or if it recirculates. The cup is big enough, and it definitely has no problem pulling air through my co2 scubber. It pulls so much air I had too add an air valve, otherwise the skimmer would overflow. I have the small IceCap unit.

There's BRS video that called the Bullet 3 the best Hob skimmer.

Thinking about getting the Bullet 3. But would like to ask you, is the lack of overflow pipe is a hassle? or the collection cup is big enough for some time? is it silent in the living room?

Thanks

Miguel.PT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Bullet 3 and am impressed. It's just been broken in and is skimming efficiently after 6 days. I have the same concern about the lack of an overflow drain. It has a catch area if it overflows but I'm not clear on how much it holds or if it recirculates. The cup is big enough, and it definitely has no problem pulling air through my co2 scubber. It pulls so much air I had too add an air valve, otherwise the skimmer would overflow. I have the small IceCap unit.

There's BRS video that called the Bullet 3 the best Hob skimmer.
So an air valve would be a way of controlling the air intake so it does have a better dry skin then.
How about the foam on the return? Does it trap the micro air bubbles efficiently? What icecap unit you referring to?

Thanks for your help.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an air valve would be a way of controlling the air intake so it does have a better dry skin then.
How about the foam on the return? Does it trap the micro air bubbles efficiently? What icecap unit you referring to?

Thanks for your help.
Sorry about the delay. I replaced the air tube with 3/8" RO tubing and an in line air valve. I stopped using the small IceCap scrubber because I don't think I need it. I routing the air tube all the way up past the tank rim and a sliding glass door is only 10 ft away and I live in San Diego so open windows every day. The foam on the return seems okay but I hang the skimmer on my sump and and added more at first. Since the skimmer is broken in I don't think I need the extra. Here's a link to the air valve, it is excellent for $9.00.
TAILONZ PNEUMATIC SCF-3/8 Air Flow Control Valve with Push-to-Connect Fitting https://a.co/d/5826zIK

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back