Canon EOS Xs and Nikon D3000 Camera Pictures!Do you have them?

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello-
Im in need of a new camera,BAD.I dont want a expensive camera at all,simple cause I dont need one that is going to take just stunning photos,just good qualityt,clear and easy work to camera and pictures.

So I have 2 cameras I have looked at:

Canon EOS Xs
Nikon D3000

I have been told:

"Go with the Nikon,its the best little DSLR camera avaiable"

"Go with the Canon,they have best picture quality and it is very simple to work"

So,its mixed for both camera,I just wanted to see,what some of you guys have taken with either of those cameras?

What do you like about the camera modle?

Also,when you post pictures(if anybody does)please tell me what lence you are using.

Thanks,
Austin

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum is a bit slow unfortunately :(

I have a D3100 and it is FANTASTIC! Nikon and Canon both make great cameras. hold them in your hand and see what feels better. I personally think canons kit lens sucks, feels like flimsy plastic while Nikons is super smooth. Other than the Kit lens both are great. Canon does have a nice macro lens which is more affordable than Nikons.

these were shot with the kit 18-55 under 450nm actinic reefbrite LED lighting, then balanced against a gray card using Nikon's Capture NX 2

dsc0207wbsmall800.jpg

dsc0208wbsmall800.jpg

dsc0210wbsmall800.jpg

dsc0253wbsmall800.jpg

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see,very nice shots!

I like the Nikon,but alot of people just stand by Canon,and for the price,they are worth every penny some say,they seem to be a great camera.

I like the D3100,looks like a great choice,and I might have to look into it more after I see some pics from the other camera.

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can't judge by pictures. good pictures are the product of good use of a camera. I'm a newbie - folks who know how to work WITH the camera can take better pictures than what I posted with a 1st generation DSLR.

The body of the camera stores what the lens lets through - Nikon and Canon both do that very well - the lens is the key factor. if you spend money on lenses (which is where money should be spent), both will shoot the same quality pictures. I went for Nikon for a couple reasons (1) I can hold it with one hand comfortably and securely and do almost everything with one hand (lets the other hand hold the lens (2) I have a strange attraction to Nikon (3) I have friends with Nikon lenses out the rear (except the one lens I want to try (105 macro).

both will shoot the same quality if equipped with an equivalent lens & operator. go with what feels better.

here is a history lesson:

Nikon vs. Canon

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya,I know that the camera really dosent have much to do with the quality,but I do like to have the ablity to adjust things more than some other cameras,which lences dont do...LOL,some cameras have diffirent ISO,White Balance,etc.

I have a HD video camera,so I dont think I need to go with the 3100,which really the 3100 only does more than the 3000,its not much diffirent than just the filming.

What lences do you use?

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya,I know that the camera really dosent have much to do with the quality,but I do like to have the ablity to adjust things more than some other cameras,which lences dont do...LOL,some cameras have diffirent ISO,White Balance,etc.

all the DSLRs can do the same things at the end of the day, even if the name they use is a little different.

for reef photography you MUST shoot in RAW mode and balance on a computer. the cameras can't compensate out actinic lighting.

The only lens I own is the kit 18-55. I have been playing the the kit 55-200 which is nice, but too slow for indoors. I love the 1.4 50mm :) and am getting ready to try out the 18-70 2.8 which I heard is a killer lens. hope to make my next purchase the 105mm macro :)

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Canon and Canon is what I really like. You will see a million different photos taken with Canon and or Nikon an honestly that does not prove anything at all. You can have the best camera in the world and the photos will be absolutely horrible if you don't know how to use it.
I have used Canon and Nikon and in my opinion Canon is MUCH easier to use. Also, I like how a Canon feels in my hands compared to a Nikon.
If you were to take photos from a equal quality Canon and Nikon you could not tell the difference in photo quality.
Also, you can have a great camera and poor quality lens and be very unhappy with the photos.

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I used a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. I got rid of it because the 60mm works much better for my needs.

OP
OP
clowns101

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see,the 60 looks pretty nice.Ill get the camera fisrt,and play with the settings and get every thing right,then get my lence,I dont want it to take like pro loooking shots,but I want very clear and clean looking pictures,sounds like Canons lences wins the bet here.

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Canon and Canon is what I really like. You will see a million different photos taken with Canon and or Nikon an honestly that does not prove anything at all. You can have the best camera in the world and the photos will be absolutely horrible if you don't know how to use it. .

ain't that the truth!

In the past I used a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. I got rid of it because the 60mm works much better for my needs.

How far from the corals are you shen you shoot? My 18-55 at 55 is good for the front half of my 24" deep tank, after that there is a lot of cropping going on!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back