OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS, I'm in the Market for a new macro lens and i'm tossing up the idea of going with the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX APO DG HSM Macro to add it to this thread and just play with it till i get board. So that should be on the list in a few weeks along with what i add soon.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its OK,I use it for the simple stuff,its not my fav lens by any means.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m and m, are your impressions with the two 100mm macros based on use with a full-frame or crop sensor? I've read that the biggest improvements were made towards the corners.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m and m, are your impressions with the two 100mm macros based on use with a full-frame or crop sensor? I've read that the biggest improvements were made towards the corners.

It all depends what Im shooting what camera I use (I preffer my XTI with my tank shooting). I own a Canon XTI and a 1DS MK3. One is full frame and one is not, are you asking is the corners better shooting with the IS VS non or FF VS CB?

Brent Ward

Fanworm farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the 50macro! It's one of the sharpest lenses in canons line up an for the price can't be beat.

I personally use tilt shift lenses or my 180L. I sold the 100macro.

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[...]are you asking is the corners better shooting with the IS VS non or FF VS CB?
I was interested in the image quality between the L and non-L model on a full frame only. I own a 5D mkII and am wondering if shooting FF affects your impression that the image quality is the same between the two lenses. Thanks for the response!

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the 50macro! It's one of the sharpest lenses in canons line up an for the price can't be beat.

I personally use tilt shift lenses or my 180L. I sold the 100macro.

Yes, I love the 180L but tilt shifts are nasty, i only have used the 45 but loved it.

I was interested in the image quality between the L and non-L model on a full frame only. I own a 5D mkII and am wondering if shooting FF affects your impression that the image quality is the same between the two lenses. Thanks for the response!

To be honest there is a slight one on the L with FF, but dont let that steer you away it is barley noticeable.

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having used both the 100mm and the 60mm canon usm macros for aquarium work, i'd like to note the following observations...

i am a fan of both of these lenses. they are both very good macro lenses with very similar sharpness and overall quality. beyond aquarium work they are also both good walk-about lenses and are both great for portraits. the 60mm is cheaper.

my biggest notes for aquarium work is that the 100mm has significantly more "reach" into a tank. i recommend this lens if you are shooting from the front of the glass into the tank. the 60mm is better for shallow top-down shots, as it allows you to get closer to the coral - an especially important consideration if you have aquarium lighting to dodge. if you are shooting frags in a shallow frag tank, the 60mm is the way to go imo.

also, you can add extension tubes to the 60mm to get it to operate like the 100mm for extra reach in front of tank shots... another consideration.

Last edited:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've recently read a few reviews, on some photography forums that I belong to, on this exact topic. It seems, on a FF body, the newer 100mm L series, actually shows more vignetting, in the corners, than the 100mm non L series. I own the non L version and am completely happy with it, so I probably won't upgrade to the L series, for some time. However, I have used the L series, and it is amazing. The IS is incredible, though isn't of much use, for actual macro photography, unless you're dealing with a low light situation. Also, since I shoot with a Canon 7D, I can't give any personal observations, of the FF differences.

Kris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I actually just saw this thread today for the first time. And the funny thing is that I picked up the Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro lens Monday. I just need to learn my camera better. I am getting good pictures but not getting all of the colors of the corals yet.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I actually just saw this thread today for the first time. And the funny thing is that I picked up the Canon 100mm 2.8 USM Macro lens Monday. I just need to learn my camera better. I am getting good pictures but not getting all of the colors of the corals yet.

Feel free to ask away in this thread i will help you to the best of my knowledge.

I loved my old Canon 180L but the price is killer for most. So i just went and bought the sigma 180mm F3.5 APO Macro EX DG IF HSM which is almost half the price. It should be here shortly a week or so and i will give a write up on this one. I have Very high expectations for it after reading the review.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you end up getting that Sigma 150mm? If so, how do you like it compared to the 100mm Canon? I've currently got the Canon 60mm and would like to upgrade before too long

Back