Canon Macro Lenses

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen many questions in the past few days about macro lenses so I thought I would put together a little thread in hopes it would help some people. There are many macro lenses out and I will go over most of them and give my opinion on the one's I have used. We will start with "What is a macro lens". A Macro lens is basically a lens with a one to one ratio (1:1) allowing the minimal focus difference to be very short. Macro lens can be used for regular photography or portraits. So not only is it a investment for the tank but you will be able to take it to the zoo, christmas morning and even some very nice portraits.
Tokina 100mm f/2.8 AT-X

This lens is one of the cheaper and I do not recommend it. Many people have (Including me) have mad focusing issues. It is slow and some people report it to be loud when focusing. This is a third part brand and im not sure of the CS of Tokina but I doubt it is as good as Canons. This is the big hole in it in my opinion, This lens comes in at 400 new. A canon 100mm can be bought for 450 used easily. Also I would suggest a tripod with this since it does have the slow AF. But if you want to go new and this is around your max it would be hard pick for me between this and the 60mm, due to I want the reach with one and the quality of the other.

Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro lens​

This lens is what I recommend for everyone to get . It is not the cheapest but it is by fare not the most expensive. The 100mm comes in at 550 USD new and roughly 400-450 used, it is by fare the easiest to work with out of any of the macro lenses. The length is perfect for any user, It is tack sharp and it will get the job done for anything family photo's to macro. One thing to look for if you are buying used it make sure you get a ultrasonic, There is some older ones that are not ultrasonic which lack a quick auto focus. Ultrasonic is simply the motor that is used to autofocus, AKA USM (Ultra sonic motor)

Canon 100mm 2.8L IS

This is the newest addition to the canon macro line. It comes in any where from 900-1100 new depending where you look. Used you can get one at 800ish. There is only one difference from the Regular 100mm macro, the IS. IS is Image stabilization. This is the lens I own, the IS basically prevents camera shake. In most cases it will allow you to shoot at a slower shutter speed then one would not be able to do normally. I do not really recommend it unless you plan to use it in other areas, or unless you want to spend double for it.

Canon 180mm 3.5L

This lens is a little harder to use then the 100mm and comes in at almost 1,500. This lens has a longer focal length 180mm which makes it in most cases harder to work with. Other then that there is no real difference from the 100mm unless you care about the 2.8 Fstop which you shouldn't be using for shooting coral anyway.

Canon 50mm 2.5/60mm 2.8

I places these to lenses together because they are VERY similar. The 50mm is the cheapest way to get into the macro world. It comes in at under 300 new and will get the job done. The only big thing i would worry about is the motor in the 50mm, It does not have the USM so its AF will be slower, how much slower im not sure i have never truly compared it with another but it is noticeably slower.. The 60mm does have the USM which will get you the ultra fast focus. The .3 Fstop wont really make much of a difference.

Canon MP-E 65mm 2.8

This lens I do not suggest using for anyone not knowing what they are doing. Commonly needing a focusing rail to use properly it is a tough bugger to get down. Don't let the pictures trick you, you can get ultra close with this lens but like i said if you dont know what you are doing it will be tough. There is no Auto focus with this lens so it is all by hand. The the photography world this lens is known more of a exotic lens because of the price tag and it only can be used with macro.

If this thread takes off and there is a demand for it i will do the same with all third party lens's. I have used all these lens's first hand thats why i felt more conferrable doing it on them, but if there is a demand for it i will do some reading and let you guys know about the other lenses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony Calfo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow...outstanding post, my friend! I'm a diehard Canon user as well. Shooting with both 100s and the 50, of course, and concur with your comments. Cheers.

Pawky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up on the Canon, I'd definitely be interested on 3rd party lens as well.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread - I was wondering if we could also add this as an optional choice too. I have been reading about it and it seems like a viable and cost effective solution to an expensive macro lens. I have seen some pics with the lens and i must say there are stunning!

Raynox DCR-250
Nikon D3100 with the Raynox DCR-250

I would also love to hear if anyone has ever used it and has an comments about it?!?

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't shoot nikon my friend does though. I'll add one or two nikon he has then I'll add some third party's tonight or tomm. I have a four hour car trip tomm so I'll have lots of free time.

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't shoot nikon my friend does though. I'll add one or two nikon he has then I'll add some third party's tonight or tomm. I have a four hour car trip tomm so I'll have lots of free time.

My understanding is that this lens is compatible with quite a few cameras including video cameras too. Heres the chart http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/pdf/Cross_Reference_Table_For_Digital_Still_Camera.pdf

More info regarding this lens
DCR-250 Super Macro conversion lens for D-SLR camera

Supreme Reefs

Zoa Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I'm saving up for the IS but not there yet :( do you any pics of yours with the IS?

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice writeup. Just have a question regarding the Canon 100mm 2.8. Why do you rcommend the ultrasonic motor? Do you not manually focus your macro work?

Thanks,
CJ

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The USM offers quicker AND more quiet focusing, which can be important when photographing wild animals, or at a wedding. I actually use auto focus, most of the time, when shooting Macro shots, of my corals, with my Canon 100mm.

There are actually a couple more differences, between the non L and the new L version, of the Canon 100mm, other than just IS.

The L version is much better "weather sealed," and made with a higher quality glass (which is what gives it the L designation), which will result in a sharper image. The higher quality glass will also allow tack sharp images to be taken, with the aperture wide open. The IS will really not matter, when taking Macro photography, as much as it will if taking portaiture shots.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics with that lens on a Canon Powershot SX1 IS
Raynox DCR-250 Macro Conversion Lens Review

My understanding is that this lens is compatible with quite a few cameras including video cameras too. Heres the chart http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/digital/pdf/Cross_Reference_Table_For_Digital_Still_Camera.pdf

IMO i would not try that link you posted. Also To my knowledge it would not be interchangeable between canon and nikon the mounting system is diffrent.

More info regarding this lens
DCR-250 Super Macro conversion lens for D-SLR camera

A nice writeup. Just have a question regarding the Canon 100mm 2.8. Why do you rcommend the ultrasonic motor? Do you not manually focus your macro work?

Thanks,
CJ

It will focus quicker due to the motor being lighter meaning it can focus faster. Also the older ones you can hear it move and it is annoying. The older version is actually harder to find then the USM.

Also stated above the 100MM L does come with a diffrent glass but in all honesty you will not notice a difference, The 100MM is a top notch lens one of the best to have a L version made of it. Lots of the times there is a big difference in quietly from L to non L but there is not with this serious. Also all L lens's are weather sealed but i wouldn't test it along with many high end cameras. One last thing the L also comes with a hood and bag for it unlike the non L. I will edit my original post tonight with some more lens's and info.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,how come when I tried the Canon 60mm macro f/2.8 it really didnt look much diffirent that a normal 50mm f/1.8...I thought that it was rather similer.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,how come when I tried the Canon 60mm macro f/2.8 it really didnt look much diffirent that a normal 50mm f/1.8...I thought that it was rather similer.

They are super similar, I mean the focal difference is only ten millimeters. Also Im not sure if the motors are diffrent i didn't look at them. But the 50 has a one stop advantage, but you shouldn't make a difference when your shooting your tank.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see,I thought that it was going to be a LARGE diffirence since one is macro and one is normal focus.I guess not.

So is the canon 60mm macro with the extra money,or should I keep the 50mm and stick with it?

Thanks

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait your 50 isn't the macro Version? If thats the case there is a difference. One the 60mm you will be able to get closer, and it has a true 1 to 1 ratio. When the 50 wont be able to get you as close it needs to be a foot and 5 inches away, when the 60 can focus as close as 7 inches i think it is. Also IMO no affiance that 50mm 1.8 is a piece of crap. If your tossing up the 60 and that i would suggest going with the 100, you will thanks me for that extra 40mm reach.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see,I thought that it was going to be a LARGE diffirence since one is macro and one is normal focus.I guess not.

So is the canon 60mm macro with the extra money,or should I keep the 50mm and stick with it?

Thanks

Also another though a quality extension tube would work wonders. Make sure it is small though since you have such little reach.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait your 50 isn't the macro Version? If thats the case there is a difference. One the 60mm you will be able to get closer, and it has a true 1 to 1 ratio. When the 50 wont be able to get you as close it needs to be a foot and 5 inches away, when the 60 can focus as close as 7 inches i think it is. Also IMO no affiance that 50mm 1.8 is a piece of crap. If your tossing up the 60 and that i would suggest going with the 100, you will thanks me for that extra 40mm reach.

Non macro,I see thedif now.

And no offence taken,I like the 50mm,and its nice and all,I only have it cause I was able to buy another lens with the camera,haha!So I got that one with extension tubes!LOL...

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hate the plastic build quality and over all feel of it. On the other hand though it is a fabulous lens for under 120 if you can deal with feel and your careful with it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back