Canon vs Nikon?

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sony burned me once with the Alpha and changing mounts. Never again. With Nikon and Canon you can still use lenses from decades ago. Sony hasn't proven they have that kind of commitment.
Exactly! This is why I'm waiting on Canon to offer a full frame mirroless camera. I just can't get myself to part with the glass I have invested in.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sony a200 and absolutely hate it. Only 10.5 megapixels and I've changed the stock camera lens but im looking for an upgrade. Everyone is telling me different things. Best Buy always has the Canon T6I and Nikon 3400 on sale with lens for around $500-700 and I'd be cool with that. It's a touch decision like I said.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do share, what's the lucky camera to get the (adapter) ring?
None yet really, But I kinda have a lot of old glass, newer glass too.
Fwiw that adapter was 700 5 years ago. Id wager well see alot more soon.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just say. It ain't the camera.

It's the singer not the song.

I have sympathy for the OP because besides Nikon + Canon, we now have Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic/Sony. I recently made a choice and debating returning and going a different way.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sony burned me once with the Alpha and changing mounts. Never again. With Nikon and Canon you can still use lenses from decades ago. Sony hasn't proven they have that kind of commitment.

Sony seemed a little non committal to APS-C sensors, I was hoping FF was more secure. Yet, investing in a bunch of new lenses for anyone today seems riskier than in decades past. Times are changing. Slight topic change (sorry Op), but the Linus rant on how much he spent on an 8k RED was mildly entertaining (and sad).

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
, but the Linus rant on how much he spent on an 8k RED was mildly entertaining (and sad).
Hahaha right?

btw its because sony was transitioning from the old tech they bought from minolta and experimenting with a different bayer pattern sensor system to offer full frame. They plan for the long view.

They went from a 3ccd in the Genesis to the f55

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a200 definitely. I've tried taking some shots but it misses out on the details because of the lower pixel. Might as well use my iPhone 7 plus
its not the MP's. Keep in mind all those great pics you saw on time magazine vanity fair were taken with a MUCH lower MP camera in the early days.
Sensor cleaning, lens cleaning, higher fstops.

OP
OP
Joeganja

Joeganja

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tag.

I'll just say. It ain't the camera.

Btw. I drive a used BMW. :D, my macro is a Minolta (backwhen they were the ones making the glass for Leica ) and one of my cameras is a Panasonic , that uses the same color processors as the digital leicas. I stopped shooting cannons because the thumb wheel is right where my thumb goes and I kept changing the exposure. Sony is directly responsible for modern modern digital cinema and and I used to shoot video exclusively on it and always used Fuji lenses. Both have liscenced and sold thier glass and processor tech to most all other manufacturers world wide.

So Nikon be cannon? How big is your thumb. :cool:

Small thumb lol.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small thumb lol.
hahahahaa...
test drive the new mirrorless cameras. Any of them. On thing about many of them (for reefers) they have a shallower flange depth(distance from sensor to lens) it allows stock lenses to be able to get wider angels and closer focal distances(macros).
Most folks are confused as to why you can use a 5.5mm lens and not have it be fish eye on a cinema camera. Thats why.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.test drive the new mirrorless cameras. Any of them. On thing about many of them (for reefers) they have a shallower flange depth(distance from sensor to lens)

I was surprised how high I had to crank the ISO on my micro 4/3rds sensor. Aquariums are unique, low light + movement. I could have used lower ISO on a FF or APS-C camera. The compact size of this olympus + 100mm Macro is amazing, but I'm not sure I might have preferred an older Sony FF mirrorless (original A7).

The OP might be happy with my OM-D 10mk2 w/Macro. It's on sale as new models upcoming. But everything is a balance of pros/cons.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was surprised how high I had to crank the ISO on my micro 4/3rds sensor. Aquariums are unique, low light + movement. I could have used lower ISO on a FF or APS-C camera. The compact size of this olympus + 100mm Macro is amazing, but I'm not sure I might have preferred an older Sony FF mirrorless (original A7).

The OP might be happy with my OM-D 10mk2 w/Macro. It's on sale as new models upcoming. But everything is a balance of pros/cons.
In my tanks. I have a LOT of light.

But yea, really good camera suggestions. Especially as an entry level model.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll share , Nikon D5500, std 16-55mm lens
DSC_6792.jpg
DSC_7221.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back