Can't Decide on Custom Tank(s)

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're looking to consolidate our 90G and Reefer 170 tanks in the coming months into a much larger, "dream," aquarium build. We want to use the tank as a room divider between our front door/entryway and our dining room/kitchen area but can't decide on dimensions. Essentially what the Mrs. and I have agreed is that we want it to be 72" long, peninsula style, internal bean animal style overflow, and does the best at not "closing in" the room. I greatly prefer rimless and this, in some ways, has become a limiting factor as we've found. To summarize the quotes I've received to date:
  • Reef Savvy - 72" long, 30" wide, 24" tall (~ 225G)
  • Miracles - 72" long, 30" wide, 30" tall (~ 280g)
I have long admired the team at RS for their awesome work but my concern is that at 24" tall (which is the maximum they said they would go on rimless), we have to elevate the tank by heightening the stand which, blocks off the room. On Miracles, my concern is (1) why are they willing to go higher then 24" and (2) I've seen some threads in recent years where they've had blown seams, etc. This tank will be on a second floor which we're getting reinforced and hence the concern about a seam blowing out. o_O

Thoughts, suggestions, experience to share?

Last edited:
OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, the max 24" height from RS was based on the 72" length of the tank which is definitely the length we want.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, the max 24" height from RS was based on the 72" length of the tank which is definitely the length we want.

Each tank manufacturer has reasons for their design limitations. Sometimes it is the size limit of the equipment the have or the ability to pack and ship or the best use of material with the least amount of waste or the weight of the finished product. Reef Savvy has a great reputation due to their insistence on standards that allow them to control outcomes. They seem to have quite a wait list and I have yet to hear a complaint. No matter who builds the tank remember humans are involved and sometimes there can be problems. Nothing any human builds last forever. If you follow the manufacturers recommendations you stand a much greater chance of success.

I prefer Cell Cast Acrylic because of the success rate I had with hundreds of tanks over 30 years. It has its limitations as well including the tendency to scratch easier. However. both glass and acrylic can be polished by experts who know how to repair a scratch. Acrylic is 7-10 stronger, optically clearer, thermally more efficient and all public aquariums use it for all their large displays. In my experience it is less likely to burst than glass. That said the proper thickness for a rimless acrylic would be 1 1/4" thick material making it quite expensive.

Wish you well on your build.

fftfk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could talk to coast to coast too. They have a good reputation. My tank is extremely well built but not as big as yours. They wouldn't do a rimless on mine due to the size.

Let us know who you go with. I am getting ready to move and would like to do a room divider tank as well.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could talk to coast to coast too. They have a good reputation. My tank is extremely well built but not as big as yours. They wouldn't do a rimless on mine due to the size.

Let us know who you go with. I am getting ready to move and would like to do a room divider tank as well.
Thanks for the recommendation and I'll give them a call tomorrow. I think I might be willing to live with eurobracing for the larger tank now that I've seen some more pics of them, we'll see :p

reeftank220master

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're looking to consolidate our 90G and Reefer 170 tanks in the coming months into a much larger, "dream," aquarium build. We want to use the tank as a room divider between our front door/entryway and our dining room/kitchen area but can't decide on dimensions. Essentially what the Mrs. and I have agreed is that we want it to be 72" long, peninsula style, internal bean animal style overflow, and does the best at not "closing in" the room. I greatly prefer rimless and this, in some ways, has become a limiting factor as we've found. To summarize the quotes I've received to date:
  • Reef Savvy - 72" long, 30" wide, 24" tall (~ 225G)
  • Miracles - 72" long, 30" wide, 30" tall (~ 280g)
I have long admired the team at RS for their awesome work but my concern is that at 24" tall (which is the maximum they said they would go on rimless), we have to elevate the tank by heightening the stand which, blocks off the room. On Miracles, my concern is (1) why are they willing to go higher then 24" and (2) I've seen some threads in recent years where they've had blown seams, etc. This tank will be on a second floor which we're getting reinforced and hence the concern about a seam blowing out. o_O

Thoughts, suggestions, experience to share?
I did my 220 as a room divider and I also had my stand custom built to 40in high so the tank is at eye level..
The tank is viewable from three sides
20170114_191315.jpg

TylerS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting up boxes with the shape of the tank? Once I did this I found I would not want 30" (to high) and 24 is to low. I settled on 28". What about something like 26, 27, 28 from miracles?

I personally want the lowest risk possible for tank failure so I'm using acrylic. Warranties are much longer which says a lot.

OP
OP
joro

joro

That Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting up boxes with the shape of the tank? Once I did this I found I would not want 30" (to high) and 24 is to low. I settled on 28". What about something like 26, 27, 28 from miracles?

I personally want the lowest risk possible for tank failure so I'm using acrylic. Warranties are much longer which says a lot.
We have and actually prefer a taller tank, hence part of the dilemma. The taller tank gives you the appearance of a "wall of glass" when you walk in the front, so should contribute to the more open theme. I think we have finally decided on a 72" x 30" x 36" euro-braced starphire glass tank from Miracles and likely putting down the deposit tonight or Monday. ~330g should be fun :D

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back