Cant get Acan to Open Up Lighting? Flow?

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys new reefer here having trouble with my acan opening. Rest of my lps corals seem ok for the most part

I have zetlight led running relatively low settings about 30-35x flow
In sand bed have moved a couple times with no luck

Sometimes its a bit more open but today looked this bad
parameters are all solid

Is this most likely too much light why they dont open? Do i need it even lower?

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics? If your parameters are vastly different from the environment it came from it can take a week or more to open.

It usually is a bit more open than this but today i came home to see this. Seems like it doesnt like something most im reading says they like low light though? So i cant imagine i need to turn the light higher

560086A3-5C48-417A-925C-4A12A041DDE5.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Moderate lighting. moderate flow, feed 2-3X per week, salinity 1.025-1.026, temp of 77-78 and ph range 8.0-8.2

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moderate lighting. moderate flow, feed 2-3X per week, salinity 1.025-1.026, temp of 77-78 and ph range 8.0-8.2

Thanks im in all those ranges and feeding Could the pic be too little light? I only have blues ramping to about 40% white to 25% ish im afraid to bleach anything with too much. Zetlight qmaven 6800

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that Acans seem to like blue light a lot more than white until they r established, when my tank was strictly lps I had a maxspect razor 200 watt and ran blues at 90 percent and the acans loved it. After several months I started to turn up the whites to get ready for sps and I did that slowly, and to a point they actually loved it.

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that Acans seem to like blue light a lot more than white until they r established, when my tank was strictly lps I had a maxspect razor 200 watt and ran blues at 90 percent and the acans loved it. After several months I started to turn up the whites to get ready for sps and I did that slowly, and to a point they actually loved it.

That makes sense because it actually opens the most at nighttime lights which are strictly blues maybe ill give that a go

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense because it actually opens the most at nighttime lights which are strictly blues maybe ill give that a go
I would run strictly blues for a week at high values and see what it does, remember, blue don’t have the par value of whites which is why U may need to ramp it up. After a little while U can start to reintroduce whites, I guess I would error on the side of caution and turn my whites up 2 percent weekly. Hope it works for you!!!

luv2lopeqhs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just posted some information on another thread with the header... Acan Troubles Hope it helps :)

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run strictly blues for a week at high values and see what it does, remember, blue don’t have the par value of whites which is why U may need to ramp it up. After a little while U can start to reintroduce whites, I guess I would error on the side of caution and turn my whites up 2 percent weekly. Hope it works for you!!!

I will try this thanks

OP
OP
K

KDG730

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far this has been great using mostly blues acan opening up day by day. I love the look of the tank overall as well

Thanks guys!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 72 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back