Can't get BTA to detach

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neglected my biocube 29 a bit and got overrun with GHA and bubble algae. Have since moved the clownfish and banggai cardinal to a 40B started with live rock from my reefer 425 sump. I have 2 BTA (split from 1) still in the B29 that I'm trying to move over as well but can't get them to detach. I have placed a powerhead right in front of it for a day now and it's deflated but show no signs of letting go nor has moved an inch. I can try breaking the rock but that's the very, very last resort as I don't want to risk cross contamination or damaging the foot if the rock breaks between the foot. What else can I try?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neglected my biocube 29 a bit and got overrun with GHA and bubble algae. Have since moved the clownfish and banggai cardinal to a 40B started with live rock from my reefer 425 sump. I have 2 BTA (split from 1) still in the B29 that I'm trying to move over as well but can't get them to detach. I have placed a powerhead right in front of it for a day now and it's deflated but show no signs of letting go nor has moved an inch. I can try breaking the rock but that's the very, very last resort as I don't want to risk cross contamination or damaging the foot if the rock breaks between the foot. What else can I try?
Take rock out and hang rock over tank with nem just above the water line should detach and fall into the tank.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can slide a toothpick under the foot and twist the tooth pick the nem should detach really quickly they hate this. Be super careful not to impale the nem.

Or you can use the nem cannon method. Sticky in nem part the forum

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Holding an ice cube against its foot or directing good flow right at it will cause it to release

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having mixed results with the nem cannon. Sometimes it takes a week of me adjusting it, blocking light from different directions, getting under the sponge with ice water and just generally trying to annoy it. Other times, I set it up and 10 minutes later the thing is halfway up the tube.
But it still doesn't seem to be a magic bullet, unless I'm doing it wrong.

At this point, I have enough BTAs that I'd be happy with a way to kill them just to get rid of them. I have a QT full of frags that I won't move into the DT until the anemones are under control.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back