Can't get my JF Biohazzard to color up

natesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've grown this out from a 2 eye frag over the past year. It currently has over 12 eyes, but still hasn't colored up. I originally had it on the sand bed but moved it to the current spot in hopes that it wanted more light but nothing has changed. Any suggestions?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349629306.671654.jpg

SPSkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your params, lighting, flow, etc.? The worst thing about "named" corals is that you need true lineage to ensure it is able to hold it's color and thrive in our little ecosystems. I never really truly understood lineage until a buddy explained it to me. I always thought it was an invisible piece of paper saying it came from joe shmoe so that they could tag on a hefty price. But it's actually more than that in most cases. True lineaged pieces are proven to stand the test of time and hole their own through rigorous tests and a loooong waiting period to see how the animal thrives under normal tank conditions and if it holds it's true colors. When you get people saying this is so and so because it looks like it, that's when you run into real problems because they aren't even sure what they have but they get greedy, and it usually doesn't work out in the buyers favor. There are so many people trying to make a name in this hobby it's insane, and some of them do not care who they throw under the buss. This is why I for one, do not normally buy "named corals" and two, am a true hobbyist first. If people stop by my tank and really see something they like and it's fraggaable, they say "how much?". I cut a nice chunky piece, say put away your wallet because there is no need and tell them to enjoy it and have a nice day. :)

OP
OP
natesreef

natesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 8 bulb T5 fixture. It is about 18'' under the light in medium flow. Nitrates 0 Nitrite 0 Alk 9.4 Cal 500 Mag 1650. This piece is certainly lineaged. I got it from Dnov from Aquatic Obsessed, and he got it directly from Jason.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nate, I am by no means an expert here, but is it possible it's getting too much light. Maybe give it a bit of shade. I had a chalice completely lose color until I shaded it. I'm sure if you give Darren a shout he will give some suggestions also.

OP
OP
natesreef

natesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nate, I am by no means an expert here, but is it possible it's getting too much light. Maybe give it a bit of shade. I had a chalice completely lose color until I shaded it. I'm sure if you give Darren a shout he will give some suggestions also.
Well it was originally in the shade for about 8 months and it grew well there but still didnt have any coloration. Thats why i moved it to more light a month ago in hope that it would get more color.

SPSkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe instead of shading it keep it lower but in the light and see if that helps. You don't want to light shock it that's for sure.

zoous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it's getting too much light. What kind of bulbs are you using?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back