Can't get nitrates down

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh....trying to gather all info b4 starting my tank...so to be able to communicate in a common and sensible manner lol which test kit(with out having to have an understanding of quantum mechanics) would give me numbers that the majority of people can offer advice about?
API is alittle high, don't worry about multiplying or division, everyone will get it when you post a Q about Trates. Salifert is pretty good and the Digitals are good.

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Salifert NO3 test to test against my API. It was lower as stated by others. The Salifert test process just seems better IMO. Based on the Salifert test, my NO3 is at a comfortable amount just before a wc and I have chosen not to chase that number and let the tank do it's thing. You'll be surprised how much more relaxed you are when you don't chase numbers and just perfect your husbandry, WC, WC and WC. Nothing is better.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, welp, Im not the one to chase numbers, nor do WC. =). My Corals and Cheato tell me when something is amiss. I only do a WC every 6 months, my Trates never go anywhere, Sump sees to that.

Jpurpz831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium been set up for about 6-7 years now and about 8 months ago i had a bad nitrate problem and I mean bad I lost most of my Fish now only left with 5 .I started dosing live bacteria to the top off water and to water changes just for the amount i was adding in and once a week i added the live bacteria for the total water volume and i gotta say i would always do water changes and it never would dropp untill i started doing the live bacteria

howaboutme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquarium been set up for about 6-7 years now and about 8 months ago i had a bad nitrate problem and I mean bad I lost most of my Fish now only left with 5 .I started dosing live bacteria to the top off water and to water changes just for the amount i was adding in and once a week i added the live bacteria for the total water volume and i gotta say i would always do water changes and it never would dropp untill i started doing the live bacteria

do you have a dsb?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of posts just to discuss that your nitrates are high....unnecessarily confusing and a distraction.

A new 10 gallon tank that's already loaded with fish is likely to have nitate issues. (Please say you have no plans for more fish.) Add on that there appears to ba a mechanical filter in use (ditch it/remove the mechanical element) and a reduced water change schedule and it's no surprise at all.

I would recommend 20-30% weekly water changes until you numbers are better. You could do 10% daily water changes if smaller, more frequent changes would be easier. Once things are back on track (some nitrates aren't bad...10ppm or less I'd say) stick with a weekly water change schedule.

Also, on the coral front it sounded like (I could be wrong) you were planning on softies and ricordea to start with....implying stony corals are your real goal. If so, it's a terrible plan IMO to start with typical "beginner corals". (Ditto for "beginner fish".) I'd say this might be doubly true in a nano like yours. Take your time with this (no coral) phase of your tank to decide what you actually like - pick a favorite even! - and shoot for that. Use the time also to gether any additional equipment you might need like a doser or two and/or a dripper, maybe additional flow...

Taking care of stony corals is no tougher than taking care of fish...maybe even easier. No fear! :)

-Matt

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back