OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks! I'll get a Tigger Pod culture going again. I was looking for an excuse anyway...haha!

OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I lost one. It was a bit dazed and confused from day one and almost got eaten by some Sunny D polyps. I think it was doomed. The remaining one definitely eats live baby Brine Shrimp. I am seeing a feeding response as long as it doesn't see me! Haha. I added a couple Catalina Gobies so hopefully they will help teach the Panda Goby to eat frozen mash.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I lost one. It was a bit dazed and confused from day one and almost got eaten by some Sunny D polyps. I think it was doomed. The remaining one definitely eats live baby Brine Shrimp. I am seeing a feeding response as long as it doesn't see me! Haha. I added a couple Catalina Gobies so hopefully they will help teach the Panda Goby to eat frozen mash.[/QUO

What temp are you keeping your tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A little heads up, catalina gobies don't survive long in water warmer than 70 degrees. They are best kept in tanks between 60 and 70 degrees. Your panda goby in a tropical species and I believe you may have a problem.

OP
OP
Myka

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little heads up, catalina gobies don't survive long in water warmer than 70 degrees. They are best kept in tanks between 60 and 70 degrees. Your panda goby in a tropical species and I believe you may have a problem.

Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of the fishes' normal ranges. These Catalina Gobies are captive bred in water ranging from 72-75F. The temperature im keeping, 74F, is within normal range for both fishes. It is on the high side of normal for Catalina Gobies and the low side of normal for Panda Gobies.

The average life span of Catalina gobies is only 2-3 years. I do know if several living in normal reef temperatures of 78-80F that are over 2 years old. These are captive bred as well. I speculate that captive bred specimens may be hardier in warmer temperatures.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. I am aware of the fishes' normal ranges. These Catalina Gobies are captive bred in water ranging from 72-75F. The temperature im keeping, 74F, is within normal range for both fishes. It is on the high side of normal for Catalina Gobies and the low side of normal for Panda Gobies.

The average life span of Catalina gobies is only 2-3 years. I do know if several living in normal reef temperatures of 78-80F that are over 2 years old. These are captive bred as well. I speculate that captive bred specimens may be hardier in warmer temperatures.

Thanks for sharing that info, I'm sure they breed them with bringing up their tolerable temp range in mind. I've just witnessed near 100% mortality rate with these guys, and it's always the temp. I'm glad you were informed.

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just curious... You still have your panda goby? How's it going?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back