Can't get things in balance, looking for help/advice

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been struggling trying to get things in balance in my 200 gallon tank and keep having trouble. The dilemma I'm facing is a combination of cyano, dinos, and algae. When my nutrients get too low (filter with filter roller and skimmer) my dino comes back, when I feed too heavy cyano/green alage comes in full force. I've got a 175 snail clean up crew in route tomorrow with a combination of cerith, trocus, and nassarius. Hopefully this will help. Looking for any other good pointers/advice. I was thinking of starting up an AWC system, but gonna hold back till everything is stabilized.

PXL_20210322_150856330.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect nutrients doesn't necessarily solve algae problems. More herbivores is generally a better ticket than trying to starve out algae without starting corals.

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect nutrients doesn't necessarily solve algae problems. More herbivores is generally a better ticket than trying to starve out algae without starting corals.
Thanks for the reply, I'm thinking once this clean up crew gets here it'll start helping out

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into a roller mat but read something about exporting too much
As nothing is sitting within socks or cloth ?
But along with skimming perhaps you’re taking too much out ?

heavy in , heavy out .

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started up my 150gal tank just over two years ago with dry rock, I added several Tangs early on. I credit those fish with keeping the GHA down to nearly unnoticeable during the ugly phases. I credit the biodiversity gained from IPSF.COM (Live Sand Activator PLus, baby bristle worms, & spaghetti/mama-mia worms) with helping the most to stabilize my tank overall. I didn't realize or understand the tremendous difference in starting a tank with live rock (from the ocean) vs starting a tank with dry rock. I focus the most on not letting nutrients (PO4 & NO3) go to zero/near-zero and I focus some on not having the nutrients get higher than I'm comfortable. I've had my nutrients accidentally be sky-high and have not had horrible algae issues.

TLDR: biodiversity (micro and macro) and non-zero PO4 & NO3 are the best ways to prevent a tank overrun by algae and/or dinos, IMHO.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find someone with a established tank, have them leave a side of glass uncleaned. Siphon or scrape off whatever is feasting on that. (usually small but visible white “pods’)
Yes I know there is a risk of unwanted (s) , but you might want to speed along things by adding a few lower rungs to your tanks food chain

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into a roller mat but read something about exporting too much
As nothing is sitting within socks or cloth ?
But along with skimming perhaps you’re taking too much out ?

heavy in , heavy out .
I was noticing this coupled with the skimmer was near bottoming everything out. I have since take one of my rollers off line. Not sure if I should cut skimmer time down or not. I'm keeping a close eye on N03 and P04 and making sure they don't bottom out. By keeping them up, and feeding heavy the dinos have almost disappeared.

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find someone with a established tank, have them leave a side of glass uncleaned. Siphon or scrape off whatever is feasting on that. (usually small but visible white “pods’)
Yes I know there is a risk of unwanted (s) , but you might want to speed along things by adding a few lower rungs to your tanks food chain

Not sure if you're referring to copepods, because I've got a ton on there now.

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started up my 150gal tank just over two years ago with dry rock, I added several Tangs early on. I credit those fish with keeping the GHA down to nearly unnoticeable during the ugly phases. I credit the biodiversity gained from IPSF.COM (Live Sand Activator PLus, baby bristle worms, & spaghetti/mama-mia worms) with helping the most to stabilize my tank overall. I didn't realize or understand the tremendous difference in starting a tank with live rock (from the ocean) vs starting a tank with dry rock. I focus the most on not letting nutrients (PO4 & NO3) go to zero/near-zero and I focus some on not having the nutrients get higher than I'm comfortable. I've had my nutrients accidentally be sky-high and have not had horrible algae issues.

TLDR: biodiversity (micro and macro) and non-zero PO4 & NO3 are the best ways to prevent a tank overrun by algae and/or dinos, IMHO.
Appreciate the input, I've gotten my nutrients up and my goal now is to let the big clean up crew tackle the algae and cyano. Hopefully this strategy works. Not sure if you've got any other input

pabloski911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input, I've gotten my nutrients up and my goal now is to let the big clean up crew tackle the algae and cyano. Hopefully this strategy works. Not sure if you've got any other input
I had the same issue. I had cyano dinos and gha at the same time. I just turned off my skimmer a few hours per day at diferent intervals. This helps bacteria in the water grow more and faster before getting remouved by the skimmer. If your skimmer is too good at its job there is not enough bacteria in the water to outcompete dino and cyano for nutrients.
Dinos and cyano gone in 5 days. Gha still grows but not as much and has been receding with manual remouval water changes and clean up crew.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back