Cant grow macro...

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve tried several times, cheato, red ogo, all I can grow is hair algae all over my macro, which is still effective at keeping my nutrients down but is a much bigger pain to clean out, my phosphate is always below .05, nitrate around 5. Any ideas why? There is no hair algae in my display
46F99675-CFFE-449F-AE25-12A78A503D69.jpeg
19C46CE4-8133-49FC-ACD1-94D093B2E2FC.jpeg

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna follow this myself. My chaeto grows, but slowly. I keep ripping all the GHA out hopping that chaeto gets enough size it will outcompete or at least throw enough shade to keep the GHA at bay. I also have no noticable GHA in my display aside from what I throw in there because my tang loves it.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried more flow?

Maybe try a bulb with a more red spectrum?

I had a 9 watt Feit grow bulb I got from Home Depot over a small area of my sump grow chaeto really well. My nutrients were a lot higher than yours though.

OP
OP
tidefanjam

tidefanjam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried more flow?

Maybe try a bulb with a more red spectrum?

I had a 9 watt Feit grow bulb I got from Home Depot over a small area of my sump grow chaeto really well. My nutrients were a lot higher than yours though.
There is actually pretty decent flow thru the refugium, I have used a red grow light before and had the same issue, I was using the white light because I was trying to grow red macro which I believe is supposed to do better with white light, but I do have some more cheato on the way and I’ll try the red again

Conovan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually pretty decent flow thru the refugium, I have used a red grow light before and had the same issue, I was using the white light because I was trying to grow red macro which I believe is supposed to do better with white light, but I do have some more cheato on the way and I’ll try the red again
I am running the Kessil H80 Tuna flora on mine the more red bloom setting seems to grow more GHA for me than the whiter/bluer grow setting.

samthefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I was you I would clean that fug. Get rid of all of the hair algae. don't put any macro algae until your nitrate and phosphate goes up a bit. obviously keep the light off until you put some macro in there.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back