OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of an update. Cyano is more under control. Some patches here and there, but not near as bad.

I may have found the snail killing culprit. I've seen it eating 2 snails now. And it's not the hermit. It was sold to me as a turbo. Pics attached. I'm guessing it's something else though.

Attachments

• cameringo_20210421_084339.jpg
    cameringo_20210421_084339.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 48
  • cameringo_20210421_084347.jpg
    cameringo_20210421_084347.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 48

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work! I have never heard of a murderous turbo but I guess anything could happen and it's like they say 'once you have a taste of blood.' It certainly looks like a Mexican Turbo to me, at least the foot does, the shell looks strange but that isn't distypical. What do you have remaining in your CuC?

OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome work! I have never heard of a murderous turbo but I guess anything could happen and it's like they say 'once you have a taste of blood.' It certainly looks like a Mexican Turbo to me, at least the foot does, the shell looks strange but that isn't distypical. What do you have remaining in your CuC?
Ya it's super weird. I saw it going after one snail in the sand along with the nassarius and bumblebee.

And then I saw it with a cerith that I thought had died long ago on the glass.

So I'm not sure what to do with it now. I don't really want to kill it.

I guess I could put it in the sump of my recently cycled 75 gallon.

What I have left for cuc, that I know of:
1 killer turbo
1 good turbo
1 blue legged hermit
2 bumblebees
4 nassarius
maybe 1 cerith hiding somewhere?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it's super weird. I saw it going after one snail in the sand along with the nassarius and bumblebee.

And then I saw it with a cerith that I thought had died long ago on the glass.

So I'm not sure what to do with it now. I don't really want to kill it.

I guess I could put it in the sump of my recently cycled 75 gallon.

What I have left for cuc, that I know of:
1 killer turbo
1 good turbo
1 blue legged hermit
2 bumblebees
4 nassarius
maybe 1 cerith hiding somewhere?
Snails often harass one another to eat the algae off their shells but if you're not happy with the snail I'd recommend you take it back to the store. If you're comfortable to start adding some more I'd recommend scarlet hermits, I know hermits are vilified but scarlets stay small and I have never had an issue with them through 15 years of keeping hermits. I can relate to the cyano thing too. 3 years ago my tank was overrun with cyano from years my being away from the tank at school. I added pretty much every type of snail and hermit crab and found that the biggest factor by far was source. Nothing from the various LFSs in my area survived and 2 out of 91 snails from ReefCleaners, the best stores 100+ miles out of my area and Liveaquaria had around a 50% survival rate. The only things that survived were 10 out of 19 scarlets, 4 out of 6 bumblebees, 1 out of 22 dwarf hermits, 2 out of 5 nerites.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should also say I know these numbers for sure because I broke the tank down and restarted so I got a count of everything at that point. Counting in a running tank can be hard, I can go months and months without seeing more than 2 or 3 nerites or cerith and then suddenly see all 10 cerith or 6 nerites at once. Trochus can also be a little hard to spot since they are nocturnal but astrea and hermit crabs are usually out in the open and easy to spot any day of the week.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back