Can't Raise pH

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm used to pH being depressed in the summer months, since we have to seal up the house and live off A/C here in Arizona.
However, I can't seem to get my pH up lately. I ran an air line from my skimmer to outside with no effect. I have a CO2 scrubber on my skimmer. I switched from the outside line to running my CO2 skimmer in a recirculating setup. I dose alk, which isn't keeping the pH up. I've calibrated my pH probe, and it's accurate (Neptune Apex).
I've decided to switch from 2 part dosing to Kalk in an attempt to raise the pH.
I'm going to disassemble my skimmer to make sure that it isn't pulling any air from inside the house.
Any other suggestions as to what's going on here???
1655155806477.png

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you calibrate you ph probe? What calibration fluid did you use?

If you are using kalkwasser + CO2 scrubber it must mean that your ph calibration fluid is off.

Do not make the mistake of assuming ph calibration fluids will be as they are claimed to. Only a few of the many brands available is what Randy suggests in his article on calibration (which I HIGHLY recommend reading).

He (Randy) talks about how different brands can range wildly from their actual stated ph values. He shows how you properly calibrate and what to look out for before buying/using any calibration fluid.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you calibrate you ph probe? What calibration fluid did you use?

If you are using kalkwasser + CO2 scrubber it must mean that your ph calibration fluid is off.

Do not make the mistake of assuming ph calibration fluids will be as they are claimed to. Only few of the many brands is what Randy suggests in his article on calibration (which I HIGHLY recommend reading).

I use the Neptune 7pH and 10pH to calibrate my Apex probe.
I'll try one of my chemical pH tests when I get home to see how it compares.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re on the right path. Kalk could be your answer. I can’t see your numbers but mine (I’m in the Phoenix area as well) goes from 7.9-8.16 naturally throughout the day in the “normal” months. In the “living hell” months of June-September it drops to 7.7-8.08 naturally throughout the day. If I use co2 media on the supply of my skimmer in the summer it goes from 8.00-8.36 throughout the day, but requires replacement of the co2 media every 7-10 days. If I use outside air to feed the skimmer it goes from 7.9-8.17 but my chiller runs three times as much. You could go the erv/hrv ventilation route, but it’s not as cheap as people think and it’s not as efficient in extreme heat so your ac will run more on those 120 degree days.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Neptune 7pH and 10pH to calibrate my Apex probe.
I'll try one of my chemical pH tests when I get home to see how it compares.
Still, there is a proper practice. You need to rinse in RO/DI before dipping the probe in any ph solution. The article explains in much more depth.

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you’re on the right path. Kalk could be your answer. I can’t see your numbers but mine (I’m in the Phoenix area as well) goes from 7.9-8.16 naturally throughout the day in the “normal” months. In the “living hell” months of June-September it drops to 7.7-8.08 naturally throughout the day. If I use co2 media on the supply of my skimmer in the summer it goes from 8.00-8.36 throughout the day, but requires replacement of the co2 media every 7-10 days. If I use outside air to feed the skimmer it goes from 7.9-8.17 but my chiller runs three times as much. You could go the erv/hrv ventilation route, but it’s not as cheap as people think and it’s not as efficient in extreme heat so your ac will run more on those 120 degree days.
If you click on the pic, it enlarges.
Right now I'm running day/night of about 7.87 - 8.15.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you click on the pic, it enlarges.
Right now I'm running day/night of about 7.87 - 8.15.
Those numbers aren’t bad. People have kept things going well, much lower for a long time. I know the latest craze is elevated ph, I fell into it as well. Is it worth the trouble and cost of keeping it stable at 8.3 (some now pushing up to 8.9!) 24/7 for all eternity? So we lose a little growth for a couple months in the summer, I don’t think it’s the end of the world. I’m severely visually impaired so that’s why I couldn’t see your numbers. My screen reader will read text, but it can’t do that with images.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 degree outside air , 75 inside , you have no inside air issue , it's only 75 and 75 with windows closed when its real , same as 32 outside and 65 inside you don't have CO2 issue

OP
OP
T-J

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 degree outside air , 75 inside , you have no inside air issue , it's only 75 and 75 with windows closed when its real , same as 32 outside and 65 inside you don't have CO2 issue
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d honestly not worry about the PH number you will cause more problems trying to fix it imo

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 60 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back