Can't read the API master test, any assistance would be appreciated

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I'm having some issues being able to read the ammonia and nitrate in the api test kit.

API Ammonia Nitrate.jpg

They look slightly different in the picture I think than real life. Darker I believe, but what do you guys think that these would read as, I thought the ammonia was 0 and nitrate at 5, but I really cannot tell. Thanks!

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From here it looks like .25 ammonia and 4th down nitrate, but as you said they may look darker in the photo, should be easier for you to tell if you place the test kit directly in front of the colors and the one color block you have the hardest time seeing is the result.

OP
OP
VanJuarez

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From here it looks like .25 ammonia and 4th down nitrate, but as you said they may look darker in the photo, should be easier for you to tell if you place the test kit directly in front of the colors and the one color block you have the hardest time seeing is the result.

Ah, do you put the vials right against the paper? I thought that maybe the shadow would affect the color.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need a tank pic though, those readings above can't help us discern your cycle.

we have about 200 examples of full running reefs with those numbers above, but a tank pic can narrow down your ammonia much better than that kit.

if it shows certain details in the pic, we can see you are done cycling even having no details on that part so far.

and if its missing those details, with three questions answered, we'll still know your cycle completion date having never used the test kits above to find it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back