Can't really get my Curve 5 to work

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having trouble with my Curve 5 for a while. Sometimes it wouldn't skim, and sometimes my cup would be overflowing by morning, even without me touching it or feeding. I took it out and gave it a good clean with water and vinegar, and now the bubbles won't even go halfway up the skimmer

20220612_150353.jpg

20220612_150402.jpg

I can't get it any lower in the water but I've always been able to at least get the bubbles up to the neck. I'm using a regular airline tube that I stretched for now until I can find where to get a replacement.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its at correct height, leave it be....

For correct height i consider level closer to max.level rather than min level.

Set valve half way, and leave it, i had enornous problems with mine (not c5), untill i leave it alone, after some time, it started to work great.

Bioload is sufficient for skimmer to acctualy skimm anything?

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its at correct height, leave it be....

For correct height i consider level closer to max.level rather than min level.

Set valve half way, and leave it, i had enornous problems with mine (not c5), untill i leave it alone, after some time, it started to work great.

Bioload is sufficient for skimmer to acctualy skimm anything?
It should be. I know my nitrates are ~1ppm and my phosphates are .05, but I feed heavily. If there's nothing to skim should the bubbles be this low? I thought they were at least supposed to reach the neck. This is on "min" setting

Scooters Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer and found that 7.5-8 inch water depth worked best and generally leave the valve open all the way.
It took almost 5 weeks for mine to start skimming correctly. I VERY gradually adjust the valve to skim drier once it is running correctly for a few days. Also. I found that leaving the collection cup on BUT removing cap from the cup drain to allow the contents to drain into my filter sock. I initially ran it with the cup off but it would still overflow once I did add the cup back on. By leaving the cup attached the biofilm can build up bottom to top. This allows the skimmer to function correctly.
After cleaning it, the clock resets and often requires several days or a week at minimum before it begins skimming correctly again.
I am currently upgrading to a bigger tank set up and intend to find a different skimmer. When the curve 5 is dialed in it seems to work great but overall it is very finicky. I know skimmers can be tricky to initially get dialed in but this one has been especially tricky.

I hope you figure it out! It looks like a low water level to me. Also

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer and found that 7.5-8 inch water depth worked best and generally leave the valve open all the way.
It took almost 5 weeks for mine to start skimming correctly. I VERY gradually adjust the valve to skim drier once it is running correctly for a few days. Also. I found that leaving the collection cup on BUT removing cap from the cup drain to allow the contents to drain into my filter sock. I initially ran it with the cup off but it would still overflow once I did add the cup back on. By leaving the cup attached the biofilm can build up bottom to top. This allows the skimmer to function correctly.
After cleaning it, the clock resets and often requires several days or a week at minimum before it begins skimming correctly again.
I am currently upgrading to a bigger tank set up and intend to find a different skimmer. When the curve 5 is dialed in it seems to work great but overall it is very finicky. I know skimmers can be tricky to initially get dialed in but this one has been especially tricky.

I hope you figure it out! It looks like a low water level to me. Also
Thanks for the advice - I'm not able to run the sump level any higher because of my ATO valve. I'm wondering if I cleaned it "too" much and just have to wait for it to do its thing

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about bioload......

Now, i clean mine in muriatic acid, and it work the same, in second when i plug the power on....

Nitrates are not that important, nitrates are product, not raw material for skimmer to work with, so to speak.....

Thats why i said - leave it for a week, two, three and u will see...

If you have to almost close valve to raise foarm to the cup, skimmer clearly dont produce enough foam to rise even with fully open valve...

If nothing is blocked, skimmer is in right height, and work as it should, then there is not enough organic to form stable and thick foam.....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back