Can't unscrew battery compartment Hanna Phosphate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this seems ridiculous, but I got my first Hanna checker and there is no way I can get the screw undone.
I got the checker yesterday and was trying to unscrew it with my regular Philips head screwdriver and felt like it was starting to strip the thread so I stopped, I went to purchase a precision screwdriver set to get some smaller ones to try and I cannot get it to budge at all!

Has anyone else have suggestions? I find myself a pretty handy person in general and have never been in a situation like this before and feel completely useless!
Do I now have a checker I can't use?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap on the end of the screwdriver while untightening. A drop of WD40 or something similar. If that doesn't work mail it to Hanna.

Joe Harris Dancing GIF by Dalinghaus Construction

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Press the plastic cover down as you try to unscrew it, the screw is very small so you don’t need a lot of pressure, just enough to turn the screw, if you have a very thin elastic band, place that over the screw then try unscrewing it.

OP
OP
Elise_

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
There seems to be no give in the plastic cover at all and I tore a hole in the rubber band trying to use that and it just continued to start to strip the screw.

I have sent an email to Hanna. I have never come across anything like this before.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
There seems to be no give in the plastic cover at all and I tore a hole in the rubber band trying to use that and it just continued to start to strip the screw.

I have sent an email to Hanna. I have never come across anything like this before.
Unfortunately I have. I took my wifes car to PepBoys and had a disagreement with them regarding the new tires and alignment that they installed before our vacation. We came back home (1000 miles later) and the new tires were destroyed, "Because the front end is out of alignment."
" I agree" I said, and added; "That is why we brought it to you for service and new tires before the vacation, and now the new tires are ruined because the alignment you did wasn't right."

So I got two new tires. About a month later I tried to remove a front tire and had to stand on a 6' cheater bar, jumping to break the lug nuts loose. Somebody on the assembly line over torqued the tiny battery compartment screw to keep it from coming loose in shipment. They did such a good job they may have plastic welded the door shut?
Pain, but Hanna will make it right, right? Keep us updated. Also, have you checked the vial lids to see if those open?
Looks Good Thats Whats Up GIF by VCG Construction

OP
OP
Elise_

Elise_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I have. I took my wifes car to PepBoys and had a disagreement with them regarding the new tires and alignment that they installed before our vacation. We came back home (1000 miles later) and the new tires were destroyed, "Because the front end is out of alignment."
" I agree" I said, and added; "That is why we brought it to you for service and new tires before the vacation, and now the new tires are ruined because the alignment you did wasn't right."

So I got two new tires. About a month later I tried to remove a front tire and had to stand on a 6' cheater bar, jumping to break the lug nuts loose. Somebody on the assembly line over torqued the tiny battery compartment screw to keep it from coming loose in shipment. They did such a good job they may have plastic welded the door shut?
Pain, but Hanna will make it right, right? Keep us updated. Also, have you checked the vial lids to see if those open?
Looks Good Thats Whats Up GIF by VCG Construction
Oh yes, I have had the same thing happen with tires. Jumping on the crowbar to try and loosen them on the side of the road is not fun.

I just feel like it's such a ridiculous thing to say I can't get the compartment opened, but its stuck! haha

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then once you do get the screw out, the plastic cover doesn't just pop off.
So you start prying, and prying and it feels like it's stuck on with gum, and then you finally realize there is a circuit connector attached under the lid that presses into it's female counterpart inside the base of the tester. :face-with-head-bandage:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes, I have had the same thing happen with tires. Jumping on the crowbar to try and loosen them on the side of the road is not fun.

I just feel like it's such a ridiculous thing to say I can't get the compartment opened, but its stuck! haha
I wonder if they used reverse threads?
(It will probably work itself loose in the mail to Hanna, and what will they think then?)
:)

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got two new tires. About a month later I tried to remove a front tire and had to stand on a 6' cheater bar, jumping to break the lug nuts loose.

Lots of places over-tighten lug nuts. It's the reason why I have not one but two impact wrenches. Then I re-tighten by hand with an electronic torque wrench to spec and never have any problems after that.

SillyReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta be a pro with the correct size. Find the tip that fits the best and push down. Most work from the office so never understand a thing.....

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if they used reverse threads?
(It will probably work itself loose in the mail to Hanna, and what will they think then?)
:)
its not a left hand thread, i just got a hanna and it was tight for a tiny screw. got to have right size screw driver.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back