Can't view tank in the evening - Foxface

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. We have a 75 mixed reef that is home to a 1 spot foxface. It's a beautiful, healthy fish, but we are growing annoyed with it unfortunately.

Our lights start going down around 8:30 pm every evening. Once this starts, it is impossible to go up to or sit at the tank to watch it, because the foxface literally freaks out to the point of slamming into every rock and side of the tank possibe. We've had it since June.

During the day, it's the perfect fish and almost eats from our hand. But when the light starts the dimming, we can't even walk past the tank (which is in our living room).

Any suggestions, or are we just stuck not being able to really look at the tank at night?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reset your lighting schedule say from 9:00 ramp down to 10:00 ramp down. Enjoy your fish then go to bed by 9:55.
“If a Fox face runs into the live rock at 10:00 and no one saw it, did it really happen?” :)

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess we could. I have light cycle now from 10:30 am to 8:30. The moonlight lasts around an hour and a half...lights go out fully at 11.

I may try that! I figured that was the only solution lol

Garf

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. We have a 75 mixed reef that is home to a 1 spot foxface. It's a beautiful, healthy fish, but we are growing annoyed with it unfortunately.

Our lights start going down around 8:30 pm every evening. Once this starts, it is impossible to go up to or sit at the tank to watch it, because the foxface literally freaks out to the point of slamming into every rock and side of the tank possibe. We've had it since June.

During the day, it's the perfect fish and almost eats from our hand. But when the light starts the dimming, we can't even walk past the tank (which is in our living room).

Any suggestions, or are we just stuck not being able to really look at the tank at night?
Has it got places to hide when the big ugly humans arrive at dusk?

OP
OP
Aparker2005

Aparker2005

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210915_212050.jpg

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing your room lighting may be helpful (if possible) as it's the shadows that you're casting are causing the "fish freak-out." Night-feedings or changing your light schedule really doesn't address the cause of the issue.

Garf

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changing your room lighting may be helpful (if possible) as it's the shadows that you're casting are causing the "fish freak-out." Night-feedings or changing your light schedule really doesn't address the cause of the issue.
Don’t you ever feed at low light levels? I agree it’s odd, especially for a fox face, they are normally so calm and self assured, hiding behind them rows of venom laiden spikes. Of course there’s always a chance he is just a jerk.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t you ever feed at low light levels? I agree it’s odd, especially for a fox face, they are normally so calm and self assured, hiding behind them rows of venom laiden spikes. Of course there’s always a chance he is just a jerk.
I'm not saying anything for or against night feedings lol The shadows cast by the observers are what's causing the reaction, so there must be some kind of lighting in the room itself that's throwing shadows onto the tank. There could be a lamp in the room opposite the aquarium that's causing the shadows

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I know a little dated but found this interesting. I hear ya as I am getting annoyed myself. I have been trying to see if my peppermint shrimp are still alive and every time I try to put a little light on tank in middle of night he absolutely goes nuts. Thank goodness I have screen top. I guess I will never be able to look into tank at night. Urg!

Garf

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a little dated but found this interesting. I hear ya as I am getting annoyed myself. I have been trying to see if my peppermint shrimp are still alive and every time I try to put a little light on tank in middle of night he absolutely goes nuts. Thank goodness I have screen top. I guess I will never be able to look into tank at night. Urg!
Try red lights

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.7%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 100 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back