OP
OP
A

ammonijjar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome. Agree with prioritizing and adding according to increasing aggression.

I would encourage you to consider utilitarian fish. Pretty and functional is better than just pretty.
Thanks for the advise, what pretty and functional fish would you recommend for a beginner?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Nice to meet you all! I am soon to enter the wonderful world of Marine aquatics, coming from a background (many moons ago) of tropical fish. So far I have purchased a 37l (10gal) quarantine tank and will be getting a 240l (70gal) tank in approx 2 months (room is almost ready and wifey has sanctioned it all, woop woop!)

I will initially be setting up a FOWLR tank in mind to potentially (read as mos def!) diverge into corals but all in good time, talking a year into the journey.

I am looking at this list of fish:
*Pair clowns
**royal blue tang
Orchid dottyback
Coral beauty
Flame angel
*3 x pajama cardinal
2 x banngai cardinal
*Firefish goby
Neon goby
*Royal gramma
Blue/green chromis
Watchman goby

Now, I know this is too much for a 70gal, but this is the list I will most likely choose from, the * I really want and the ** the missus wants (I know from reading all your wonderful posts/replies it won't be good for the long term, but potentially keep for as long as we can and donate after the fact).

My question is this: of these fish, which would you recommend and what order to add them in? (Again I am aware of the length of time to add and will be adding over the course of year 1, and bear in mind reef safe potentially).

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Ammo

Hi Ammo and Welcome! Glad you joined. This is a great couples hobby!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). There is no such thing as starting documenting too soon!

This might help you find people local to you:

Regarding your fish list, everyone will tell you not both coral beauty and flame angel as two dwarf angels in same tank will fight. I've never tried. I have flame angel, though my boyfriend lobbied for coral beauty. Maybe someday some future third thank he can have his coral beauty.

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Back