Captive Bred Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

AquaNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasses about to hit Quality Marine for the 1st time. Read more in the link below...

http://aquanerd.com/2016/12/quality...-cleaner-wrasses-labroides-phthirophagus.html

Labroides phthirophagus 2.jpg

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great that all these species are getting bred, but most of the bred prices I've seen are ridiculous, except for clowns. I was looking for a Mandarin, $130, for the size of an inch. In addition to getting these guys bred, we need to figure out how to get the prices down for the average reefer.

FDAWG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a few years back when I was just starting out and didn't know much about reef keeping and my LFS said to me "That Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse right there will make a great first fish" Well, it was the first fish that died in my tank. After doing research this fish has a high mortality rate and shouldn't be kept in captivity. I'll haven't been to that LFS since but I am willing to try out one of these captive bred one :)

strike2867

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the other thing about it. Assuming they've been able to breed them, that doesn't necessarily mean their diet has changed. So unless you have a shark with parasites in your tank, good luck.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's great that all these species are getting bred, but most of the bred prices I've seen are ridiculous, except for clowns. I was looking for a Mandarin, $130, for the size of an inch. In addition to getting these guys bred, we need to figure out how to get the prices down for the average reefer.
Price will go down as demand and supply go up. Demand is there to a certain point and supply will take some time to get culturing predictable/scalable but this is a great start! Whenever there is a new designer clownfish the price can be quite exorbitant too :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your economics professor doesn't see that, I'll let you reconsider it.
Lol yeah I wrote that quickly sorry for bastardizing it. That said, the more these breeding protocols become predictable, easier, more widespread, and less costly/more scalable the less these fish will cost in the long run. Let's forget about that whole demand thing I said. How's that?

frenchie01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the other thing about it. Assuming they've been able to breed them, that doesn't necessarily mean their diet has changed. So unless you have a shark with parasites in your tank, good luck.

Do you think the breeding pair are in a shark tank?
The problem isn't their diet it's getting them to eat prepared food.

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely chance is, if they're raised in captivity they can raise them on foods used in the hobby. People have trained cleaners onto frozen before.

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my halo fish...

I've tried them too many times to be honest without much luck...

Always die during QT. Really a 0 long term success rate with them, even in public aquariums.

I'll be hitting up my contacts in LA to get two here ASAP!

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yea they must have a HUGE tank with lot of sharks full of parasites so they can raise them:rolleyes: ROTFLMAO

fin mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is just love to see another species being bred in captivity. This is outstanding news. Another barrier being broken in our awesome hobby. Who's next?

OP
OP
AquaNerd

AquaNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It stands to reason if they can raise them from egg to adult that they should do fine in captivity. Also like most things, expect captive bred pricing to come down over time. Just look at where lightning maroon clownfish are headed. Pretty soon they will be commonplace.

"Traditionally, this species of wrasse has been considered sensitive and challenging to care for, as wild caught fish have been difficult to feed properly. Thus, they have always been recommended for more experienced hobbyists. Their aquacultured counterparts have been reared on readily available diets, and don’t have these same feeding issues. They are a very active swimming fish so we still recommend multiple feedings a day."

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does any online sites actually sell them. Would love to have one

OP
OP
AquaNerd

AquaNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does any online sites actually sell them. Would love to have one

Have you tried calling Quality Marine to see where they have recently sold these fish? Perhaps they can point you to a supplier in your area or online.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back