New Reefer

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all. After working for years as a scuba instructor and guide in a former lifetime, I always wanted to bring the reef in with a tank. Never pulled the trigger because there weren't many captive bred options and I didn't want to take fish from their natural habitat (no judging those who don't have an issue with it, just personal preference). Recently I did some research and saw many more options than there were 15 years ago. Long story short I pulled the trigger and just finished cycling a tank. I added a couple clowns, a watchman goby, and a pistol shrimp, a couple zoas and mushrooms, and a few snails.

Full disclosure, I'm mostly making this first post so I can DM a member about his captive bred Hawaiian Harlequin Shrimp (My proudest macro find while working in Kona, and one of my favorite sea creatures), but I'd love any and all advice from more experienced reefers. Anything from stocking advice, to equipment, to things to look out for. Thanks everyone!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start a tank journal with all information about your ecosystem.

Not knowing your experience level, I suggest you add diver collected live rock to provide biodiversity of micro fauna & fana. Without this biodiversity, you will have much opportunistic ugly algae.

OP
OP
D

Dive Cowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should start a tank journal with all information about your ecosystem.

Not knowing your experience level, I suggest you add diver collected live rock to provide biodiversity of micro fauna & fana. Without this biodiversity, you will have much opportunistic ugly algae.
Thanks! I got a nice couple pieces of rock from an LFS that broke down a very healthy established 15 year old tank. I'm sure it has lots of goodies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 145 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back