New T. squamosima from Biota

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These clams were considered T.squamosa before, then T. costada then finally consider T.squamosima, a species described in 1899, after further examination.
They are actually rare in the Red Sea but more common in the Pacific.

I initially read about them as T. costada, a rare new clam species in the Red Sea several years ago. I never thought I have a chance to own one.
Too bad it is not the right time for me right now. Too much of my time been tied up professionally. Maybe in a few years.
A few years!? YOLO!

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the one earlier this week they listed as wysiwyg and got it yesterday (which was even cheaper than the listing ($115)). Probably about ~4 inches long. Healthy, nice white growth line on it. Pretty similar to their example one on the listing here, just a solid brown with the white lines and a green rim. Completely different coloration than any others that I've seen, kind of like a hippopus crossed with a squamosa. Nice big scutes on it
Glad to hear you got one of the WYSIWYG ones, we leaked these guys out before the announcement went live

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These clams were considered T.squamosa before, then T. costada then finally consider T.squamosima, a species described in 1899, after further examination.
They are actually rare in the Red Sea but more common in the Pacific.

I initially read about them as T. costada, a rare new clam species in the Red Sea several years ago. I never thought I have a chance to own one.
Too bad it is not the right time for me right now. Too much of my time been tied up professionally. Maybe in a few years.
I can't wait to read about your retirement tank. I'm sure it'll be a marvel filled with all manner of anemones, clams, and interesting fish

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Why the disclaimer?

I personally love Biota and have purchased many a fish and coral from them. I'm biased but I also know how to be objective. The disclaimer through me off as I recall you keeping it on the even level.

Because advertising when not a vendor here is frowned upon. I think its a good disclaimer.

I appreciate everything Biota has done for the hobby. Sustainable, healthy sealife from a vendor with fair pricing is awesome to see.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because advertising when not a vendor here is frowned upon. I think its a good disclaimer.

Not arguing but you didn't advertise. Maybe I'm missing something. You simply mentioned the source and asked if anyone had see it. If we have to have disclaimers now before posting we have sunk to a new low.

OP
OP
OrionN

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the disclaimer?

I personally love Biota and have purchased many a fish and coral from them. I'm biased but I also know how to be objective. The disclaimer through me off as I recall you keeping it on the even level.
I love Biota. Will order angels from there soon. I posted this straight out of interest and don’t want people think that I push Biota Marine products.
IMO the reputation of Biota Marine speaks for itself.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Biota. Will order angels from there soon. I posted this straight out of interest and don’t want people think that I push Biota Marine products.
IMO the reputation of Biota Marine speaks for itself.

Stay amazing Orion. Your thread elsewhere regarding flame angels is still one of my favorites. Working on getting a trio soon.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not arguing but you didn't advertise. Maybe I'm missing something. You simply mentioned the source and asked if anyone had see it. If we have to have disclaimers now before posting we have sunk to a new low.

It wasn't my disclaimer. Posts where people link to stuff from non vendors or vendors has been frowned upon in the past. Not sure if it is now.

I think it is a good idea to say he is getting nothing for posting that and to not push people into it.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
squamosas are indeed rare in the Red Sea, which is why we all get excited to see them being propagated! Whether this is squamosina or a variant of squamosa we can't be sure but it is very beautiful. Very unlikely costata given they are even rarer, not propagated and doesn't resemble costata, which are characterized by deeply scalloped shells. Either way it's a beaut!
We now know these are squamosina, previously described as T. costata, but actually described in the 1800’s as squamosina. The clam pictured is indeed squamosina, not squamosa or a hybrid,. The mantle and shell tell you everything.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't my disclaimer. Posts where people link to stuff from non vendors or vendors has been frowned upon in the past. Not sure if it is now.

I think it is a good idea to say he is getting nothing for posting that and to not push people into it.

I'm confused. Biota is a sponsor. FB, other forums, instagram, and more I can see your point but a sponsor just strikes me as odd. But maybe it is a me problem.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm confused. Biota is a sponsor. FB, other forums, instagram, and more I can see your point but a sponsor just strikes me as odd. But maybe it is a me problem.

This post wasn't started by a sponsor. It was started by a random person posting links to sponsor items. He is just trying to say he isn't being paid by this sponsor to post this info. It is a pretty common disclaimer.

wjgeese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We now know these are squamosina, previously described as T. costata, but actually described in the 1800’s as squamosina. The clam pictured is indeed squamosina, not squamosa or a hybrid,. The mantle and shell tell you everything.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little guy came today! It seems he punctured his bag as the box was a little wet, but after burping him he's doing just fine. Such an incredibly unique animal!
PXL_20240221_155659930.jpg e009ab3c-2c91-4c84-8be8-57111fd51186.jpg
He came in right around 3". Squamosa in the back (also from Biota!) For morphological reference. Totally different.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My little guy came today! It seems he punctured his bag as the box was a little wet, but after burping him he's doing just fine. Such an incredibly unique animal!
PXL_20240221_155659930.jpg e009ab3c-2c91-4c84-8be8-57111fd51186.jpg
He came in right around 3". Squamosa in the back (also from Biota!) For morphological reference. Totally different.
Yeah, top down for sure. Also, burping is unnecessary, as some clams are completely exposed in low tide and have the ability to expel any trapped air or debris. Also, most clams are dry shipped short distances in their native homes between farms, etc.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, top down for sure. Also, burping is unnecessary, as some clams are completely exposed in low tide and have the ability to expel any trapped air or debris. Also, most clams are dry shipped short distances in their native homes between farms, etc.
I know, it was more of a peace of mind thing than anything else haha. Top down incoming tomorrow.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back