CAPTIVE BRED TANK SETUP

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys I had a reef tank for about a year and a half before my young children accidentally overfed and crashed my entire setup, 5months has past and I'm ready to start again my tank will be cycled in the next few days and I am planning on doing a captive bred only tank to do my part in the sustainability of the reef keeping hobby!

First things first the fish I am planning on keeping are;
Pair of clowns
A yellow tang
2/3 Bangaii cardinal
Dotty back

Can you guys help me with any other cool fish that would get along with this list and also help me with what order to add them to my tank, I will be adding the tang as a juvenile.

Any advice and opinions are welcome!

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really depends on tank size. There are some cool gobies that are captive bred like watchmans or rainfords. Quite a few angels too.
Tank size is 60 gallons and I've never seen a rainford goby before just googled it and it's gorgeous I think I will get one, does it burrow? I love coral beautys but I'm wary incase it nips future corals

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 is gonna be pushing it for a yellow tang (or really any tang), these guys can go in a 4 ft tank, but really need the extra 6 inches in width that a 75 provides.
Coral beauties are hit or miss with coral, the bigger the tank, the less the risk. Mine is in qt right now, waiting on going in my 40 breeder, so hopefully mine isn’t a coral eater…
The rainfords gobies are sand sifters but don’t borrow to my knowledge.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 is gonna be pushing it for a yellow tang (or really any tang), these guys can go in a 4 ft tank, but really need the extra 6 inches in width that a 75 provides.
Coral beauties are hit or miss with coral, the bigger the tank, the less the risk. Mine is in qt right now, waiting on going in my 40 breeder, so hopefully mine isn’t a coral eater…
The rainfords gobies are sand sifters but don’t borrow to my knowledge.
I know bud iv seen a few people say yellows purples and tominis are ok for 60gallons, and I don't know how true it is but apparently captive bred ones doesn't grow as large as wild... Hopefully it doesn't, let me know how it goes mate.

I like gobies but I had a diamond back for about a year that I use to have beef with because it kept ruining my aquascape every few days lol

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know bud iv seen a few people say yellows purples and tominis are ok for 60gallons, and I don't know how true it is but apparently captive bred ones doesn't grow as large as wild... Hopefully it doesn't, let me know how it goes mate.

I like gobies but I had a diamond back for about a year that I use to have beef with because it kept ruining my aquascape every few days lol
Lots of different gobies out there. Diamonds definitely make a mess. The smaller ones are generally pretty clean.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Of these, the tomini is the best bet for your 60, if it's a long tank. People will flame me for even saying that. Don't count on your Cb yellow staying small just because it's captive bred. Is this a 4 ft tank?

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of these, the tomini is the best bet for your 60, if it's a long tank. People will flame me for even saying that. Don't count on your Cb yellow staying small just because it's captive bred. Is this a 4 ft tank?
Thanks for the advice mate, Why are people so highly strung when it comes to tangs?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice mate, Why are people so highly strung when it comes to tangs?
It’s one of those fish that despite its size need a a lot of room, and most species frequently get put in even smaller than a 60.
Happens so much that people start getting really annoyed with it (for the right reasons).
Hence, the tang police!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1651695278327.gif

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s one of those fish that despite its size need a a lot of room, and most species frequently get put in even smaller than a 60.
Happens so much that people start getting really annoyed with it (for the right reasons).
Hence, the tang police!
Fair enough mate I am planning on upgrading at some point later in the year to be fair anyways

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok I've heard they are susceptible to ick
Yeah a big theory is that they get very stressed when they don't have adequate space to swim or places to hide. They can also become stressed by other aggressive fish especially other tangs. This in turn lowers their immune system causing a breakout of skin lesions which spreads easily onto the other tank inhabitants and kills them all fairly quickly. Once introduced to your system it will stay as long as there are fish to carry the parasites.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah a big theory is that they get very stressed when they don't have adequate space to swim or places to hide. They can also become stressed by other aggressive fish especially other tangs. This in turn lowers their immune system causing a breakout of skin lesions which spreads easily onto the other tank inhabitants and kills them all fairly quickly. Once introduced to your system it will stay as long as there are fish to carry the parasites.
I suppose it makes sense and are the lesions ick or like stress sores? If I got a baby yellow how fast would it grow in say 6months?

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose it makes sense and are the lesions ick or like stress sores? If I got a baby yellow how fast would it grow in say 6months?
The lesions I was referring to were from ich although there are many skin lesions fish can get when stressed that are not ich. It's hard to say how fast they grow as each animal is different. I have a sailfin tang in my 75g that I don't think has grown in the 3+ years I've had it, yet the sailfin in my 125g has grown significantly in the 1+ year.

OP
OP
S

Scousereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lesions I was referring to were from ich although there are many skin lesions fish can get when stressed that are not ich. It's hard to say how fast they grow as each animal is different. I have a sailfin tang in my 75g that I don't think has grown in the 3+ years I've had it, yet the sailfin in my 125g has grown significantly in the 1+ year.
Hmm interesting, gives reason to believe fish grow to the size of tank... I thought that was a myth

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm interesting, gives reason to believe fish grow to the size of tank... I thought that was a myth
It’s a bit of both. The fish grow to the tank size, but only because they are stunted and the body cannot grow more. The organs, however, continue to grow and will cause health problems later down the line. Moral of the story is that being in too small a tank will only be harmful long term.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back