Carbon Dioxide - Low PH solutions

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without spending a lot of money on altering my two AC units (yes two), what options do I have on raising my PH? I have a short airline running outside of my house to my skimmer. It seemed to have helped at first but lately not so much. I have a two story house and because of covid all 5 of us are home for the majority of the time. I open windows when I can but this is the south and the majority of the year opening windows will not be an option. I know that following numbers is not prefered but I really see a difference in my corals when the PH is higher, it is noticeable. If you look here you can see when I was home all week and was able to keep the windows open. When I had to go into my office no one remembered to open the windows the last few days. It is a remarkable downward trend because the CO2 built up in the house.

Capture.JPG

I do have a refugium running about 18 hours a day, but it is on the small side. I could add a light on the sump but with the skimmer in there, it does not leave a ton of room for macro algae. Since the photo period is what drives the PH up during the day is this the best option for countering it?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could put together a small CO2 scrubber & put it inline to your skimmer air input hose (eliminate the outdoor line)

I used a BRS mini reactor and filled it with soda lime on each of my tanks and it works well

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just implemented a CO2 scrubber after using an outside airline for a few months. So far, so good. I’d highly recommend the recirculating method (google it for more info). I set mine up about two weeks ago, and the soda lime has barely started to change color. The BRS Universal CO2 Scrubber is like $35.

Off topic, but what controller are you using to get all that info?

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just implemented a CO2 scrubber after using an outside airline for a few months. So far, so good. I’d highly recommend the recirculating method (google it for more info). I set mine up about two weeks ago, and the soda lime has barely started to change color. The BRS Universal CO2 Scrubber is like $35.

Off topic, but what controller are you using to get all that info?

An Apex Neptune and I use Grafana. The reason I started offloading my logs is because Apex just does not let me see over a week or so, I wanted a longer timeline.

So you are using the BRS scrubber and Soda Lime. What would be your estimate on monthly cost? I have entertained the CO2 scrubber before and after having researched I see people giving up after the monthly cost. If the monthly cost is minimal, great.

Last edited:

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An Apex Neptune and I use Grafana. The reason I started offloading my logs is because Apex just does not let me see over a week or so, I wanted a longer timeline.

So you are using the BRS scrubber and Soda Lime. What would be your estimate on monthly cost? I have entertained the CO2 scrubber before and after having researched I see people giving up after the monthly cost. If the monthly cost is minimal, great.
I couldn't tell you the exact monthly cost, but most people that complain about the monthly cost are not using the recirculating method. Sometimes they only get a week, or two, out of the media. I'm at about 2 weeks now, and maybe 10% of the media has changed color. YMMV, though. Even with the recirculating method, how much CO2 is in your home will have an impact.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please state your method. If you are using the recirculation method, can you post a picture of the setup and do you have a fail-safe?
One thing I would suggest, that I don't see mentioned a lot, is to have your intake from the skimmer cup go into a jar, or other container, and then into the scrubber. This way, water that gets picked up, or just condenses in the hose, will be caught before it can soak the media.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I would suggest, that I don't see mentioned a lot, is to have your intake from the skimmer cup go into a jar, or other container, and then into the scrubber. This way, water that gets picked up, or just condenses in the hose, will be caught before it can soak the media.

If the jar fills though? My skimmer has a drain line. I am thinking that the drain line could just go into a container. If the skimmer ever went completely nuts the skimmate would just overflow into the container and then on the floor. I would rather it be on the floor than the stuff go back into the tank. Does that seem like a solid idea?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the jar fills though? My skimmer has a drain line. I am thinking that the drain line could just go into a container. If the skimmer ever went completely nuts the skimmate would just overflow into the container and then on the floor. I would rather it be on the floor than the stuff go back into the tank. Does that seem like a solid idea?
Sure, but that's not really what I meant. Have you looked up the recirculating method? It basically means you pull air from the skimmer cup so that the air going into the scrubber is humid. The media works much better if it's humid (thus why they tell you to put a tablespoon of RODI into the scrubber). What I'm saying is, put a jar between the skimmer and the scrubber so that any water that may find its way out of the cup and into the scrubber is captured.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, but that's not really what I meant. Have you looked up the recirculating method? It basically means you pull air from the skimmer cup so that the air going into the scrubber is humid. The media works much better if it's humid (thus why they tell you to put a tablespoon of RODI into the scrubber). What I'm saying is, put a jar between the skimmer and the scrubber so that any water that may find its way out of the cup and into the scrubber is captured.
Yes, I have. What I am saying is that if the skimmer went nuts then the air line from the top of the skimmer would let that skimmate flow into the jar you mentioned. That jar would quickly fill and then the water would go into the scrubber, then it is game over. At least that is the way I am visualizing it.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have. What I am saying is that if the skimmer went nuts then the air line from the top of the skimmer would let that skimmate flow into the jar you mentioned. That jar would quickly fill and then the water would go into the scrubber, then it is game over. At least that is the way I am visualizing it.
Ah, sure. Using the drain port would prevent that. I'm using an AutoAqua Smart Skimmer Security sensor to avoid that issue.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, please state your method. If you are using the recirculation method, can you post a picture of the setup and do you have a fail-safe?

I don't use the recirculation method - just straight away pics below - First 2 are of my 120 and 2nd set are of my 65.

IMG_7663.jpg IMG_7664.jpg IMG_7665.jpg IMG_7666.jpg

The Opinionated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be humid? I have noticed that the water i put in the base of the scrubber dries out very quickly. But UI am not sure about the recirculating method as it can't be good for tank oxygenation?

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the recirculation method - just straight away pics below - First 2 are of my 120 and 2nd set are of my 65.

IMG_7663.jpg IMG_7664.jpg IMG_7665.jpg IMG_7666.jpg
Do you need a special adapter for the airline tubing to connect to the reactor? What size airline is typically used?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%

Back