Carbon Dioxide - Low PH solutions

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be humid? I have noticed that the water i put in the base of the scrubber dries out very quickly. But UI am not sure about the recirculating method as it can't be good for tank oxygenation?
Basically, the more accessible surface area, the more effective the media is, and when it’s semi-saturated, more air can get to the inside. At least that’s my rudimentary understanding.

It has caused absolutely no issue with oxygenation.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it have to be humid? I have noticed that the water i put in the base of the scrubber dries out very quickly. But UI am not sure about the recirculating method as it can't be good for tank oxygenation?

Humid air allows more complete use of the media by allowing a little moisture to be present on the mineral surface, locally dissolving materials.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Without spending a lot of money on altering my two AC units (yes two), what options do I have on raising my PH? I have a short airline running outside of my house to my skimmer. It seemed to have helped at first but lately not so much. I have a two story house and because of covid all 5 of us are home for the majority of the time. I open windows when I can but this is the south and the majority of the year opening windows will not be an option. I know that following numbers is not prefered but I really see a difference in my corals when the PH is higher, it is noticeable. If you look here you can see when I was home all week and was able to keep the windows open. When I had to go into my office no one remembered to open the windows the last few days. It is a remarkable downward trend because the CO2 built up in the house.

Capture.JPG

I do have a refugium running about 18 hours a day, but it is on the small side. I could add a light on the sump but with the skimmer in there, it does not leave a ton of room for macro algae. Since the photo period is what drives the PH up during the day is this the best option for countering it?
I would not worry about your ph.....

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started opening windows in my house because it is the time of year the weather is mild. Can anyone see the day I did not open the windows? This is pretty striking.

1606673464812.png

Now here is a full month, you can see trends where people are teleworking more often from home and kids are inside more.

1606673535244.png

Let me clarify, I am not overly worried about the PH. I am not going to go as far as install a CO2 scrubber but it is very interesting how closed up my house is. I will keep the windows open on the days I can just because I think it is healthier for the humans inside.

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another avenue you might consider if your house has chronically high CO2 is to run your tank at a higher alkalinity. Keeping it at 9.5-11 DKH can help boost your pH for a given indoor air CO2 level. Just make sure to account for this with nutrient levels and keep NO3/PO4 a little higher than you might otherwise.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back