Carbon Dosing and PH

rbourgeois64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a problem keeping my PH higher than 8.0 and I recently ran out of my carbon dosing solution (NP Bacto Balance) and I have noticed my PH has less of a problem reaching the 8.3 level I’ve been shooting for. This may be a non educated question but would the carbon dosing suppress my PH to this extent. Thanks for the help!

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had a problem keeping my PH higher than 8.0 and I recently ran out of my carbon dosing solution (NP Bacto Balance) and I have noticed my PH has less of a problem reaching the 8.3 level I’ve been shooting for. This may be a non educated question but would the carbon dosing suppress my PH to this extent. Thanks for the help!
I think its normal for straight carbon dosing to cause a PH hit. With TMs Elimi NP mine drops about .1

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing bacto balance on two tanks untill just a few days ago (N and P getting too low for my comfort). I'm not big on testing pH and do not monitor but I have tested a few times over the last couple of months while dosing BB with a Hanna checker. pH on both tanks has always been 8.3 when tested. I have a third tank I do not dose and it has been 8.3 as well. Maybe my dosage was too small to effect the pH?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Organic carbon dosing produces CO2 when that organic carbon is metabolized, and that CO2 will tend to lower pH.

One cannot really get around that effect entirely, unless you combine the organic with a high pH alk supplement.

For example, dissolving calcium hydroxide into vinegar eliminates the pH drop from the organic, but it does boost alkalinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back