Carbon Dosing Help

bdub22rhp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong forum, as I am not the most familiar poster with R2R. Anyways, I have been using NOPOX for quote sometime and it is doing it's job for nitrate very well. Long story, but it has reduced my NO3 to 7.1 (per hanna HR), however I still have to run GFO periodically to keep PO4 readings in check (currently .05 PPM hanna). I have a standard 4 foot 90 gallon, with a 20 gallon sump, and am currently dosing 10 ml of NOPOX daily right before lights come on.

All that said, I have the dreaded white slime starting to appear. It is mainly in my sump, but accumulates on my return nozzles as well. When I turn my return pump off and back on it will dump white slime in my DT as well. I have researched at wits end trying to understand if the white slime is because of overdosing, or if it is part of the normal process of carbon dosing. I have read that it is bad, and then turn around and have read that it is the actual bacteria that consumes nitrates and phosphates. So which one is it? Am I overdosing? I have a LPS/Softie tank so I think my nutrient levels are ok where they are, but I don't want them to get out of hand. I have no visible algae outside of my refugium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria like this are only "bad" if they cause you distress because they are unsightly in the main tank, or if they clog something. Otherwise they are fine,. Bacteria need to grow somewhere, and yours are just more visible than some.

If you do want to try to reduce or eliminate it, you can switch to a different carbon source, such as vinegar and see if that helps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back