Carbon Filtering: Under, Over or Just Right?

So what do you think about running carbon as a filter for your aquariums?

• Underrated

Votes: 64 13.6%
  • Overrated

Votes: 76 16.2%
  • Just Right

Votes: 329 70.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're going to start a new weekly QOTD where we feature saltwater aquarium methods, ideas, tricks, equipment, livestock etc. where YOU the viewer will decide if the subject of the topic is deserving of the Underrated, Overrated or Just Right rating! So let's get this started and if you have ideas for topics please message me!

Today we are going to talk about running carbon as a water filter for your aquarium. So what's the 411 and carbon? Aquarium carbon is often used in the aquarium industry for the removal of toxic organic substances, odor and discoloration from your tank.

1. So what do you think about running carbon as a filter for your aquariums? Underrated, Overrated or Just Right?

2. Do you currently filter your water via carbon and if so how?

Untitled-3 copy.jpg

image via @Bulk Reef Supply

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's just right

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. So what do you think about running carbon as a filter for your aquariums? Underrated, Overrated or Just Right?
Just right. I think it helps keep some of the nasties from the room air out of the tank. I also seem to notice less film algae on the glass after I change out carbon. I saw somewhere that the yellow tinge that the water can get can reduce par in the tank up to 30%. I think it was one of those BRS investigates videos.

I run BRS ROX 0.8 through a BRS reactor 24/7. I change it out about every 3 weeks. Seems to work pretty well for me.

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. So what do you think about running carbon as a filter for your aquariums? Underrated, Overrated or Just Right? I think it is just right

2. Do you currently filter your water via carbon and if so how? I have a bag of chem pure in the back of my HOB filter

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run carbon 24/7/365 in a brs reactor. Love how it reduces toxins from softie warfare, and the tannins that can cause your water to tint to the yellow side. Never have noticed a negative side effect, other then when I was running very cheap carbon and a kole tang developed HLLE. Never could pinpoint it to that, but when I changed to better quality carbon and fed better, it went away.

Do I think its overrated,, underrated or just right? Just right in my case as it keeps my water crystal clear.

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drop a mesh bag in the sump near the return pump every 4-5 weeks (for a week) … keeps water looking nice-n-clear! Voted "just right" … but was on the edge of "under rated" … figure there is a good reason RO/DI units run with a carbon block.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Underrated, otherwise I feel a lot more people would run carbon.

Multiple methods for placing it in the flow. Always in mesh filter bags. My favorite is mesh bags in HOB for temporary extra filtration that's easily accessible, easily changed. I especially like the HOB/Carbon combo in QT/Hospital tanks between or at the end of meds.

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine running a tank without carbon... although I have a friend that does not, it is obvious from the color of the water. I change carbon once a month on both my RSM 250 and 210 gal FOWLR.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think just right.

I don't use "a lot." I have a pouch that I put into play that is easily accessible and in a high-flow path.

Why?

Primarily because I'm not sure what might upset tank inhabitants or when they might spew some nasties.

craigbuss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is running carbon and carbon dosing the same thing? I am currently running a BRS dual reactor with gfo and carbon 24/7. I stopped running carbon for a few months due to a yellow tang with HLLE. I didn’t see any changes after I stopped running carbon other than my water clarity dropping significantly. I just started running carbon once again.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use it as needed. Last week my skimmer started overskimming and I figured something was not right. I added a small mesh bag of fluval carbon on top of my filter pad and by the next morning, everything was back to normal. Not saying the carbon solved the problem but I don't think it hurts to run it. I always keep a few bags handy just in case any issues come up!

Twigg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it’s just right, maybe tad to the underrated side.

I run a BRS reactor and change it every 3-4 weeks.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back