Carbon Reactors

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions of carbon reactors.

thinking of getting a carbon reactor for my 40G b….. specifically thinking of the BRS mini kit. Opinions? Thoughts?

obviously water pumps into it… then on the opposite side it just come out to which a valve is typically on to control flow rate.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the simplest one that I know of. Its good. Anything more to pass water through carbon is shinola.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the simplest one that I know of. Its good. Anything more to pass water through carbon is shinola.
Is it as a simple as I connect it, the pump feeds water through it then comes out the hose? In same compartment. That’s the part that’s tricky because the videos don’t really talk or say

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it as a simple as I connect it, the pump feeds water through it then comes out the hose? In same compartment. That’s the part that’s tricky because the videos don’t really talk or say
Yes, that’s how it works. I have one of those and have used it in the past. But 99% of my reefing time I have put carbon in a bag in the sump. I find bag much easier, less complex, and “works” for my system.

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is that simple. Reactor is a filter is just passing the water through the media. It can enter and exit into the same compartment. New water is always flowing past so its not just looping the same water. And above is good too. Carbon hanging in bag works well.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s how it works. I have one of those and have used it in the past. But 99% of my reefing time I have put carbon in a bag in the sump. I find bag much easier, less complex, and “works” for my system.
So I want to use a media bag but “they say” it doesn’t work as good. But a lot of people say it works just as good, their water is just as clear and noticeable different

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is that simple. Reactor is a filter is just passing the water through the media. It can enter and exit into the same compartment. New water is always flowing past so its not just looping the same water.
Makes sense!!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to use a media bag but “they say” it doesn’t work as good. But a lot of people say it works just as good, their water is just as clear and noticeable different
I agree you will get differing opinions. Both will work. But after almost 30 years of reefing what works best for me is most often the simplest, good enough way. Either way, you will be fine. I have settled on ROX carbon, 1/2 amount recommended, in a bag in my sump, replaced every 2 weeks.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer bag, now is your water crystal clear?? And where do you put the bag?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is crystal clear. For $10 you can buy enough bags for a long time. Why not try the bags first then use a reactor if bags don’t work for you? I put my bag in the sump.

Good luck!

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is crystal clear. For $10 you can buy enough bags for a long time. Why not try the bags first then use a reactor if bags don’t work for you? I put my bag in the sump.

Good luck!

Definitely trying the bag first. I didn’t know about BRS rox 0.8 so I ordered the Red Sea spec hopefully it’s good. Heard good reviews from different forums.
Any specific area in the sump

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywhere that it gets steady flow. Carbon works more like a magnet that a net. The porosity is storage area where the molecules can stick and there is attraction between carbon and what it removes.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anywhere that it gets steady flow. Carbon works more like a magnet that a net. The porosity is storage area where the molecules can stick and there is attraction between carbon and what it removes.
That small compartment after refugium and before return chamber

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the brs mini reactor and recently stopped using it. I find it a hassle to take out and change. Now I just use media bags and put them in one of the filter cups. I also put them between the skimmer and return pump section. Either way works fine.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I just use a bag of carbon hanging inside my roller filter, so the roller filter compartment that water flows into is almost acting like a reactor. This is just a temporary solution though as I'd like to eventually move to a proper reactor. Just can't decide on what one I want to use.

RichReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped using reactors. Just more to maintain. I use a loosely filled bag on an eggcrate shelf in between sump baffles. Nothing has suffered or changed. IMO they are useless unless you are running GFO.

Back