Cardinalfish behavior

  • Thread starter Thread starter rayadog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rayadog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 9, 2025
Messages
1,252
Reaction score
1,162
Location
PA
What state or country do you live in
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a dominance thing? First time I’ve seen this. Any insights would be appreciated. Caught a couple times in a few minutes and the jittery one would swim away a little.

 
Might be mating behavior, doesn't look too aggressive to me.
 
Spawning . If successful the male will stop eating while he holds eggs . They do seem to be a pair and any subsequent same species cardinalfish will be driven away from their territory . Brutally, I may add .
 
Spawning . If successful the male will stop eating while he holds eggs . They do seem to be a pair and any subsequent same species cardinalfish will be driven away from their territory . Brutally, I may add .
Thanks! I always figured I had two males. But to your point they seem to be eating more immediately now; in the sense of eager to get a bite amongst the other fish. They were formerly more ditsy along the lines of “Oh the other fish are being fed now?” -1 more than the other but a few days I’d have to target their hang out because they didn’t get the memo.
 
I always see adult males always keep their distance from one another. You got lucky to get a pair right away. I have had to purchase up to 6in a group to let them sort it out . Once a pair forms it’s best to remove all others . I then wait to see if another pair forms once they have been separated from the original pairing . . It is a good idea to remove the male after he has released the free swimming fry to give him a chance to recover from not eating . The female will be ready to spawn as soon as he releases and then he will not had some time to eat and recuperate .

I have had difficulty in getting some cardinals to eat whether they were wildcaught 20years ago or recently aqua-cultured . Often they don’t consider food falling from the surface as being prey . They will watch it fall or they will move toward it for inspection and turn away . They could literally starve with me dropping frozen food all day long just because it wasn’t live . The fix I did was to buy feeder guppies and drop them in . But warning, guppies need to be transitioned otherwise they drop in and quickly do a death spiral . I was lucky to have gotten florida guppies which I could drop right in without transition
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new