Cardinalfish breathing fast

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him yesterday and he was breathing normally until today when I noticed he’s breathing a little faster than normal. Could this be ammonia burn or something else? I don’t think it’s the former since my ammonia is at 0 when I checked after I noticed him breathing fast. He still swims normally and eats right away when fed. Btw sorry for the floating particles, I had just siphoned the sand

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you meant to post a photo you didn't. Heavy breathing could be caused by a few things like ammonia burn, disease, or not being properly acclimated. If you don't think its ammonia burn or acclimation (and it shouldn't be acclimation) then it could be disease, or if you are treating with anything that could be the cause. Try posting a video to see how it's breathing

if he is eating that is always a good sign that he can recover.

OP
OP
candelloro

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you meant to post a photo you didn't. Heavy breathing could be caused by a few things like ammonia burn, disease, or not being properly acclimated. If you don't think its ammonia burn or acclimation (and it shouldn't be acclimation) then it could be disease, or if you are treating with anything that could be the cause. Try posting a video to see how it's breathing

if he is eating that is always a good sign that he can recover.
Just posted a video, do his gills look red to you?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah its breathing pretty hard. If you have methylene blue I recommend adding that to help with potential ammonia burn.

OP
OP
candelloro

candelloro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah its breathing pretty hard. If you have methylene blue I recommend adding that to help with potential ammonia burn.
He’s breathing slower now and coloured up more, I think it might’ve actually been an oxygen problem cause of the plastic cover on my tank. I kept it off and he started breathing a bit more normal

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back