Cardinalfish dilemmas

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6AEDB419-0B44-4E32-AFE0-B3651DD286FC.jpeg
I like the look of Cardinalfish but three of the four pajama Cardinal I acquired a few weeks ago have passed on. I was monitoring water parameters daily and getting it double checked every 3-4 days by the LFS of choice. I’m confident it wasn’t the water. I was told and I’m in agreement that it was a combination of “weak” fish and perhaps stress. Since then, I’ve had no deaths. Currently, my tank has a Blue Green Chromis (left over from cycling), a pair of Misbar Clown, a Coral Angel, two Purple Queen Anthias and a flashing Wrasse, plus 6 shrimp.
My question: Which Cardinalfish is more likely to survive, assuming proper acclimation?
In reading about banggai cardinals, they appear too aggressive for my community tank which is a 90 gallon L shaped acrylic FOWLR. My take on them is; Pajama Cardinal are “fragile”, banggai cardinals are perhaps too aggressive.
So, if I’m stuck on a Cardinal, which one?
Thanks in advance, you people are awesome.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always, your mileage may vary, but I have not had luck with more than one Pajama Cardinalfish at a time.

They are supposed to be peaceful, but I have one that has gotten huge who cannot stand other cardinalfish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmn, never found PJs problematic. Have a large trio going on 7 years. Maybe just a bad batch.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
double

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s something wonky going on with the site today that seems to be replicating posts multiple times. So rather than have folks read the same post multiple times, most vets just go back and replace with double, duplicate, etc.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and then my original post didn't make it.

Anyway, pajama cardinals are generally hardy and can live in groups. You might have just had bad luck.

My original post was something like "if you can keep purple queen anthias alive, pajama cardinals will be no problem."

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D5852E81-2779-4DC3-9255-C01B80F960C2.jpeg
Haha, I think I got lucky with the Purple Queens. They take Mysis and algae cubes with Mysis and brine shrimp and I believe they are taking a little flakeas well.
Of course, I’m holding my breath every morning when I look in the tank.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I was under the impression that PJs would get alone great, and have had a single captive bred one for a while with no problems. When I went into my LFS recently to see if I could get more and the few they had in the same holding tank were all in different corners and the biggest one would periodically go over and fin nip the others. When I asked one of the guys there how it would work he said it could work, but he did admit that they might pick each other off over time. Given the fact that my tank is in a pretty good groove with fish getting along right now, I elected to NOT rock the boat and just keep what I have.

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I was under the impression that PJs would get alone great, and have had a single captive bred one for a while with no problems. When I went into my LFS recently to see if I could get more and the few they had in the same holding tank were all in different corners and the biggest one would periodically go over and fin nip the others. When I asked one of the guys there how it would work he said it could work, but he did admit that they might pick each other off over time. Given the fact that my tank is in a pretty good groove with fish getting along right now, I elected to NOT rock the boat and just keep what I have.
Thanks for the response. I’m still up in the air about adding Cardinals. Like I stated, I like the way they look. From research, getting a bonded pair of Banggais is problematic. Getting two pajama that will at least tolerate each other seems just as problematic.
I’m leaning towards getting two Banggai. Sexing them or asking the LFS to do it I think might work.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just asking (I started a different thread) about pajamas tolerating other fishmates. Particularly small juvies. The consensus that I received was that pajamas dont usually bother other species, but will take eachother out usually leaving just one or two. Also, someone noted that the size of tank can play a factor as well.
Just thought I'd add what I found.

OP
OP
R

Redrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about my stocking plan some more and I’m leaning towards leaving my pajama as the sole pajama.
Anthias sound like an option. So are more wrasse.
Thanks for the response.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 75 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 76 45.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.0%
Back