Care of Large Polyp Non-Photosynthetic Corals

WeaveAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Question: does the Elegance coral fall under this category and if so, the one I acquired about 10 days ago was doing very well and opened up within hours and ate right away. But now she stays half closed most of the time as if she's irritated by something. Any thoughts? Thanks.

ea3714903e0869836d272541582891ca.jpg
11bdee0e2bb67e536aacfe4fa0a72f22.jpg

Before and after

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Elegance coral is a photosynthetic coral so it does not fall into the NPS category. I would try moving it off of the rocks the can sometimes become irritated if the polyp touches the rocks.

Quah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tubastraea coccinea fed daily with a squeeze bottle loaded with bloodworms, Pacifica krill, and Mysis. It is a brooding species that quickly occupies all surfaces.
IMG_1306.JPG
Man that is cool, I'd love to have a NPS tank looking like that. Where can you get some?

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
e5fabe4288ee4d7e5bf2fc96dec6810f.jpg

I agree that dendros are good for beginner.

If you have a tank full of copepods would a tubastraea still need to be spot fed. I am eyeing one in my local lfs. They say they just feed the tubastraea with reef roads during the day even when it is not open and it is doing fine though I dont see how they can eat if the polyps are not out. Thanks, Rich

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are common and can be gotten many places. But as he said, heavy water column concentrations of food particles are needed; more than just pods which tend to stay on surfaces.

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what happens if you put a sun coral in the refugium with chaeto and tisbe copepods. do you still need to feed them if you have a lot of copepods

ECOKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those might be red bugs[emoji43] do some research on them! Ive heard theyre insanly bad...

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clowns might deciding to move into my hammer coral, will their be any adverse effects to the coral? It's quite big.

They are slowly swimming up to it and brushing the side their bodies on the tentacles.

ECOKid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my clowns might deciding to move into my hammer coral, will their be any adverse effects to the coral? It's quite big.

They are slowly swimming up to it and brushing the side their bodies on the tentacles.
Itll be fine. If it does start to stress, place something over it to stop them. But if its big, itll be ok. Ive seen clowns host single torch heads with no adverse affect

becks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the clowns are about 3/4" and the hammer is around 9"

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dendro farm with the mother colony in the back. Started from 1 head years ago into this and I've also sold a handful of frags. Tentacles are hanging down a bit from turning off the pumps and powerheads for feeding.

upload_2017-4-19_20-44-55.png

Update on my Dendros. Pretty fast growth in the last 4 months since I moved and added a fuge.

dendro1.jpg

dendro2.jpg

dendro4.jpg

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the fuge, I am assuming you have copepods, are you still feeding them?

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I feed them 2-4 times a week. Mainly Fauna Marine pellets. No more than a couple pellets per head. I have also noticed the pod population increasing with the fuge. I do believe I have some sort of tiny Mysid species in my tank. One night I forgot to turn my powerheads back on after feeding and in the middle of the night I happened to use a flashlight to see what goes on at night and there was a school of them that was attracted to the flashlight and the Dendros were catching them.

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold 3 of them earlier this month. I only do local pickups in southern California.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen dendro's being purposely left in a massive refugium as it wasn't doing too great in the tank above it, and how they've grown and survived after fact!!! Mind you there was no target feeding but mainly being constantly fed by refugium pods. Makes me wanna start all over again with Dendros.

A-A-ron11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9cc3e939e22395f90f2d626ba2155407.jpg

So I put my to tubastria in a Tupperware today with myisis shrimp and I found all these orange dots not sure what they are. Thanks Rich

I see that this post was a couple months back but did you watch these closely? Could they have been moving on their own? Tubastrea reproduce by releasing planulae larvae which is what first came to mind.

Back